article thumbnail

Five common misconceptions about building a startup in New York City

This is going to be BIG.

It’s really difficult for me not to get into the thick of discussions about whether or not you can and/or should build a company in New York City. I grew up here, went to school here, and have worked hard over the last 5+ years to help build up the NYC innovation community. Look, New York City isn’t for everyone.

article thumbnail

How much does it cost to build the world’s hottest startups?

The Next Web

Henrik Werdelin , the Managing Partner of Prehype , a venture development firm based in New York City that has helped build companies like Tradable , Barkbox , FancyHands , Basno and Path , says recreating Twitter isn’t necessarily difficult, but the layered features will take time to get right. 1) Twitter.

Cost 168
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

250 Developers

This is going to be BIG.

The details of exactly how this was going to happen were a bit sketchy, but having a big hairy audacious goal galvanized the innovation community into achieving something spectacular. And yes, I’ve heard of the NYCEDC’s initiative to develop a new engineering and applied sciences campus.

Developer 117
article thumbnail

Hacking Innovation Education in New York

This is going to be BIG.

The local tech community is figuring this out, not surprisingly, way before the academic institutions are—and where it is being discovered by academia, it’s being done on a one-off basis by educational revolutionaries in the innovation space who aren’t stopping to ask their schools for permission or to change curricula.

New York 116
article thumbnail

Top 3 Startup Winner: Happenstance

The Startup Magazine

All of these findings inspired the team to move forward with a more robust storytelling app for the Chicago community and schedule a release in spring of 2019. We plan to start expanding to other markets, such as New York City and San Francisco, in a few years. Co-Founder/CTO : Lewis Gardner. The Happenstance Team.

Chicago 147
article thumbnail

9 Startups That Made Life Better In 2014

ReadWriteStart

Based on the buzz it’s created in the developer community this year, we’d say it has followed through on this promise. And the Docker open-source community may be in the midst of a potentially ugly split. Quip has redesigned office-productivity software for the mobile age. MyFitnessPal.

API 60
article thumbnail

Job Opening: Innovation Community Leaders

This is going to be BIG.

I’m getting a little bit tired of running my events list and seeing some of the best folks sitting behind the paywalls of people profiting off of the community’s attempt to talk to itself. produced by community members that there’s hardly any reason to pay other than a token amount for in person innovation and startup related content.