article thumbnail

[Review] Startup Communities

YoungUpstarts

“We need to be like Silicon Valley,” we hear many a startup community organizer around the world intone. But early-stage investor and entrepreneur Bred Feld, the co-founder of VC firms Mobius and Foundry, as well as startup accelerator TechStars , thinks trying to be Silicon Valley is a fool’s errand.

Community 159
article thumbnail

Why The Government is Isn’t a Bigger Version of a Startup

Steve Blank

academia was engaged in weapon systems research for the Defense Department and intelligence community. Indeed, Silicon Valley was born as a center for weapon systems development and its software and silicon helped end the Cold War. There was a time when much of U.S.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Should Early Stage Startups Move to Austin because of Capital?

Austin Startup

It follows up on my posts discussing why early stage startups should — or should not — move to Silicon Valley. Should Early Stage Startups Move to Austin because of Capital? In terms of access to capital, Austin is not Silicon Valley or New York — but it is Austin.

article thumbnail

Ecosystem for success: the key ingredients to attract an early-stage investor

The Startup Magazine

Starting out with a clear strategy, vision and mission, will not only make your product more focused; it will also demonstrate competence to an early stage investor by showing that you are willing to do your homework. . Environment: When you think of an optimized environment for a startup, Silicon Valley comes to mind.

article thumbnail

Leaving Government for the Private Sector – Part 2

Steve Blank

Venture Capitalist : An early-stage VC requires some of the same skills as a Case Officer – spotting, assessing, developing, recruiting, and handling founders building a company amid an uncertain operating environment that will bring a heavy return on investment. Most startups fail, especially those in the early stages.

article thumbnail

My Advice To Entrepreneurs: Consider Canada For Your Startup

YoungUpstarts

For aspiring entrepreneurs, it’s hard to resist the allure of Silicon Valley. The access to some of the world’s brightest minds in technology, the proximity to some of the industry’s most influential brands, and the vast networking opportunities in both start-up and investor communities is hard to ignore. While the U.S.

Canada 100