article thumbnail

10 College Business Incubators We’re Most Excited About

YoungUpstarts

To help foster this innovation, many colleges and universities have opened business incubators, helping students and others in their community to help make their innovative dreams a reality. Offering a “holistic entrepreneurship program,” this residential community has entrepreneurship at every step of the college experience.

Incubator 202
article thumbnail

Don't Forget Brooklyn: NYU's plan for the old MTA headquarters needs to happen

This is going to be BIG.

Seemingly to save face, Stanford pulled out of NYC's Applied Sciences initiative to build a world-class engineering school last week. I have no doubt that any new school dedicated to engineering will be a good thing in New York City--one that I will fully support. Roosevelt Island or Downtown Brooklyn?

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Love And Giving Aren’t Green: Startups & Corporate Social Impact

YoungUpstarts

Once a year New York City is overcome at 5 p.m. In my former life, I worked at an investment bank, where at least one day a year we were required/allowed to donate a day to “Community Teamworks,” and participate in a charitable program. By Melissa Thompson, CEO of Talk Session. It becomes quite convoluted.

Green 178
article thumbnail

How much does it cost to build the world’s hottest startups?

The Next Web

Henrik Werdelin , the Managing Partner of Prehype , a venture development firm based in New York City that has helped build companies like Tradable , Barkbox , FancyHands , Basno and Path , says recreating Twitter isn’t necessarily difficult, but the layered features will take time to get right. 1) Twitter. 3) Facebook.

Cost 168
article thumbnail

Diverse Startups Can Receive Tech Mentorship And Thrive

ReadWriteStart

Her company, Citizen Made , which makes tools to help companies sell custom products, won a L’Oréal Women in Digital grant , giving it the funding it needed to open a new office in New York City. Finney connected Brooks with dozens of big players in New York City tech circles and crafted introductions for her.

article thumbnail

Some Thoughts on Branding Startups and Communities

Both Sides of the Table

We threw a Launchpad LA dinner to bring the community together as we tend to do 6-10 times a year. Brad wrote up his answer here – you should read it because it’s very instructive for how I believe communities ought to think about naming conventions. ” That always stuck with me. That seems very Brad to me.

Community 304
article thumbnail

Hacking Innovation Education in New York

This is going to be BIG.

The local tech community is figuring this out, not surprisingly, way before the academic institutions are—and where it is being discovered by academia, it’s being done on a one-off basis by educational revolutionaries in the innovation space who aren’t stopping to ask their schools for permission or to change curricula.

New York 116