article thumbnail

Why Small Community Lenders Have Your Back

Up and Running

But don’t fret—community lenders are helping small businesses. Meet the community lenders. Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) are one type of community lender. They are usually nonprofit organizations committed to the mission of making capital accessible to the communities they serve.

Community 117
article thumbnail

Five common misconceptions about building a startup in New York City

This is going to be BIG.

It’s really difficult for me not to get into the thick of discussions about whether or not you can and/or should build a company in New York City. I grew up here, went to school here, and have worked hard over the last 5+ years to help build up the NYC innovation community. I was there, too. > Life is a tradeoff.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

10 College Business Incubators We’re Most Excited About

YoungUpstarts

To help foster this innovation, many colleges and universities have opened business incubators, helping students and others in their community to help make their innovative dreams a reality. Offering a “holistic entrepreneurship program,” this residential community has entrepreneurship at every step of the college experience.

Incubator 187
article thumbnail

Inaugural Investor Day @ FinTech Innovation Lab

David Teten

On Friday morning, I witnessed another volley of shots being fired from New York City at Palo Alto during FinTech Innovation Lab ‘s Inaugural Investor Day. The Lab is a collaboration between the New York City Investment Fund and Accenture, with support from the New York banking community.

article thumbnail

What are the advantages of stationing your startup in New York City opposed to Silicon Valley / SF?

Gust

A much more tightly knit startup community, compared to the larger but more diffuse West Coast community. Access to many, many more world market centers (advertising, finance, fashion, media, food, etc.). A city that from the Mayor on down is devoted to helping the tech startup community expand exponentially.

article thumbnail

Love And Giving Aren’t Green: Startups & Corporate Social Impact

YoungUpstarts

Once a year New York City is overcome at 5 p.m. In my former life, I worked at an investment bank, where at least one day a year we were required/allowed to donate a day to “Community Teamworks,” and participate in a charitable program. By Melissa Thompson, CEO of Talk Session. It becomes quite convoluted.

Green 159
article thumbnail

28 Entrepreneurs Explain How They Came Up With Their Business Names

Hearpreneur

We also wanted to avoid any potential brand confusion with words such as New York City, Metro, Gotham, etc. Additionally, not limiting ourselves to a New York-linked name allowed us the eventual freedom to produce in other cities without having to qualify ourselves. 7- Latin word for growth.

Naming 146