article thumbnail

Five common misconceptions about building a startup in New York City

This is going to be BIG.

It’s really difficult for me not to get into the thick of discussions about whether or not you can and/or should build a company in New York City. I grew up here, went to school here, and have worked hard over the last 5+ years to help build up the NYC innovation community. Look, New York City isn’t for everyone.

article thumbnail

7 Entrepreneurs Reveal the Organization, Communities or Associations they Belong to That Help Support Their Business

Hearpreneur

Engaging with diverse organizations, communities, and associations is crucial for fostering growth and sustainability in any business. We asked entrepreneurs and businesses what organizations, communities, or associations they belong to that help support their businesses, and here are the responses. #1- 5- Community Mums & Co.

Community 127
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Hear This From SXSW: Community Rules!

Austin Startup

The Forrest Four-Cast: March 27, 2018 Humans crave community. That sounds obvious, but in today frenetically-paced, always plugged-in world, there are new challenges to finding the meaningful person-to-person support that drives personal and professional growth and satisfaction. Women + the Power of Community with Audrey Gelman.

article thumbnail

Founders Interview: Digital Marketing Turning Brands into Icons – UKONIK

The Startup Magazine

As part of The Startup Magazine Founders Interview Series , we interviewed Luisa Mendoza and Tim Carter—CEO and COO of UKONIK —a true startup that began early this year. Tim: Our vision is to combine innovation, grit and expertise to help businesses grow exponentially while connecting communities and resources around the world.

Founder 144
article thumbnail

“It’s okay to take profits and not hodl forever.” Does this make Alex Taub a web3 contrarian or just reasonable?

Hunter Walker

When I befriended Alex Taub in 2013 he lived in New York City, didn’t have children, and certainly did not yet have thousands of dollars invested in virtual race horses. I had been in the NY tech scene since 2008/2009 and was just, generally, trying to be helpful to founders, investors, etc. It’s been a lot of fun.

Miami 81
article thumbnail

Introducing Circulate: Creating Better Networks for Future Founders from Black and Other Underrepresented Communities

This is going to be BIG.

One of the core beliefs that I had when I started Brooklyn Bridge Ventures was that most of the next 50-100 important companies to be built in New York City were going to be started by people not on most VC’s radars today. Brooklyn Bridge Ventures will support these professionals with our event and community-building experience.

article thumbnail

This Week in VC with Dana Settle of Greycroft Partners

Both Sides of the Table

We also talked about the emergence of New York City as the “hot” new area of entrepreneurship, VC and innovation driven by the quantification of the online advertising industry. Founded in October 2006 by Jonah Peretti (co-founder of Huffington Post). Note that I’m not defining who numbers 1,2 are. Time will tell.

Partner 240