article thumbnail

Requests for Startups in 2024

VC Cafe

Most startups equate the process of fundraising to dating – founders have to typically kiss a lot of frogs until the find the right fit. Commercial open source companies – being open source is a powerful way to gain developer adoption and sell to enterprises a lot sooner.

article thumbnail

Open Source Entrepreneurship

Steve Blank

One of the great things about being a retired entrepreneur is that I get to give back to the community that helped me. I teach potential founders a hands-on, experiential class called the Lean LaunchPad at Berkeley, Stanford, Columbia and Caltech. The Founder’s Workbook. Free: Startup Tools. The Lean LaunchPad course online.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How to Choose a Programming Language as a Tech Startup

The Startup Magazine

This is one of the many challenges that you’ll have to take head-on as the founder of a tech startup. Most startup founders agree that it’s best to choose people first and language second. For every programming language, there’s a community surrounding it, making certain languages better suited for certain industries.

article thumbnail

Clubhouse put a big bullseye on social audio

VC Cafe

Clubhouse was the trailblazer, but it sparked a huge interest in the category from established social networks, new startups and even the open source community. Capuccino – an audio social network launched in July 2020 by French founders. Open Source. Bootstrapped.

Audio 139
article thumbnail

How to Compete Against Open Source Competition

Software By Rob

At some point in the past year I watched a video of an Eric Sink presentation and he asked the following question (he said it was asked of him by a college student): Why would someone buy your product when it has an open source competitor? Are there exceptions in the open source world? The UI could kill small animals.

article thumbnail

Work Less, Get More Done, Convenient Open Source, What a Startup.

Software By Rob

Making Open Source Convenient: JumpBox – A startup focused on making it dead-simple to get started with open source applications, they create virtual machines completely pre-configured to just start and go (including versions that runs on Amazon EC2). The Value of Community. Check out my book Like this post?

article thumbnail

Choosing a Programming Language and Framework for Your Startup

SoCal CTO

Closely Aligned Functional Needs The most common reason that a language and platform is chosen is because there's an existing set of (often open source) functionality that you can tap into that aligns closely with your functional needs. For example, you may have content management and community needs that closely align with Drupal.

Framework 330