article thumbnail

Why Small Community Lenders Have Your Back

Up and Running

But don’t fret—community lenders are helping small businesses. Meet the community lenders. Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) are one type of community lender. They are usually nonprofit organizations committed to the mission of making capital accessible to the communities they serve.

Community 117
article thumbnail

Amazon “Swipes Left” On New York City

Haystack

Today, Amazon announced it will entirely abandon its plans to build its second headquarters (a/k/a “HQ2”) in Long Island City, a residential neighborhood in the borough of Queens, New York City. I believe this will be talked about for months, which in today’s news cycle is saying something.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

NYC: Regulatory nightmare for tech startups trying to conduct consumer friendly businesses

This is going to be BIG.

New York City is a fantastic place to live--I''ve been here all my life. So when the city government seems to be bending over backwards to make tech companies want to start and grow their businesses here, conducting business here might be another story. It''s embarrassing for us as a tech community.

article thumbnail

“It’s okay to take profits and not hodl forever.” Does this make Alex Taub a web3 contrarian or just reasonable?

Hunter Walker

When I befriended Alex Taub in 2013 he lived in New York City, didn’t have children, and certainly did not yet have thousands of dollars invested in virtual race horses. I deliberately tried to work with people that I could learn a lot from and really engrain myself into the community. AT: Great question.

Miami 81
article thumbnail

Meet our Startup Chica Committee Members

Austin Startup

Startup Chica Spotlight: Meet our 2019 Committee Members Meet the Austin professionals and community leaders who have embraced the Latinitas mission and helped make Startup Chica 2019 a reality. Currently, Nereyda is a Global Program Manager at Facebook where she leads global outsourcing initiatives for its community operations team.

article thumbnail

250 Developers

This is going to be BIG.

The details of exactly how this was going to happen were a bit sketchy, but having a big hairy audacious goal galvanized the innovation community into achieving something spectacular. And yes, I’ve heard of the NYCEDC’s initiative to develop a new engineering and applied sciences campus.

Developer 117
article thumbnail

Hacking Innovation Education in New York

This is going to be BIG.

The local tech community is figuring this out, not surprisingly, way before the academic institutions are—and where it is being discovered by academia, it’s being done on a one-off basis by educational revolutionaries in the innovation space who aren’t stopping to ask their schools for permission or to change curricula.

New York 116