article thumbnail

Introducing the Hitchhiker’s Guide to New York City Tech

View from Seed

New York City is a dream but can also be a navigational nightmare, equal parts crammed circus and rat race mixed at warp speed. This holds for the city’s tech sector. In order to provide more transparent access and information, today we’re excited to launch the Hitchhiker’s Guide to New York City Tech.

article thumbnail

Five common misconceptions about building a startup in New York City

This is going to be BIG.

It’s really difficult for me not to get into the thick of discussions about whether or not you can and/or should build a company in New York City. I grew up here, went to school here, and have worked hard over the last 5+ years to help build up the NYC innovation community. sucks up all the good programmers.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Top 5 Tips To Successfully Recruit Creative Talent

YoungUpstarts

If you’re the hiring manager for your company, here are five tips that can help you find the right people — and do your job more successfully: 1. Keep in mind that you’re hiring coworkers and acting as company spokesperson. Think of the hiring process as a type of user experience, and look for ways to continuously improve it.

article thumbnail

“It’s okay to take profits and not hodl forever.” Does this make Alex Taub a web3 contrarian or just reasonable?

Hunter Walker

When I befriended Alex Taub in 2013 he lived in New York City, didn’t have children, and certainly did not yet have thousands of dollars invested in virtual race horses. I deliberately tried to work with people that I could learn a lot from and really engrain myself into the community. AT: Great question.

Miami 81
article thumbnail

Love And Giving Aren’t Green: Startups & Corporate Social Impact

YoungUpstarts

Once a year New York City is overcome at 5 p.m. In my former life, I worked at an investment bank, where at least one day a year we were required/allowed to donate a day to “Community Teamworks,” and participate in a charitable program. By Melissa Thompson, CEO of Talk Session. It becomes quite convoluted.

Green 159
article thumbnail

How much does it cost to build the world’s hottest startups?

The Next Web

Henrik Werdelin , the Managing Partner of Prehype , a venture development firm based in New York City that has helped build companies like Tradable , Barkbox , FancyHands , Basno and Path , says recreating Twitter isn’t necessarily difficult, but the layered features will take time to get right. 1) Twitter.

Cost 168
article thumbnail

How to Avoid Killing Your Startup

Up and Running

They understand how to read a profit and loss (P&L) statement , how to budget, hire employees , launch products , and manage cash flow. I learned this painful reality firsthand in one of my early businesses producing New York City theater. They want to make a difference in the world.

Startup 111