article thumbnail

5 Keys To Starting A New Venture In Your Local Town

Startup Professionals Musings

Image via Wikipedia From the advice I hear these days, if you want to be a successful entrepreneur, you need to be in Silicon Valley, Boston, New York, or one of the few other financial hubs around the world. In small towns, this may mean sponsoring local events, supporting complementary businesses, and community involvement.

article thumbnail

7 Critical Resources For A Thriving Startup Community

Startup Professionals Musings

I saw these addressed well in a new book, “ The Startup Community Way ,” by Brad Feld and Ian Hathaway. These guys have been building startup communities like Techstars for over 30 years, so they know what works and what doesn’t. Apple has since capitalized on the top technical talent in Silicon Valley to stay ahead of the competition.

Community 329
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Snowflakes in the Valley: What Happens When 40 Nordic Entrepreneurs Visit Silicon Valley

ReadWriteStart

The Internet might be truly global then, but the world of startups still revolves much around Silicon Valley. The old continent often looks up to the Valley as a sort of Eldorado of IT. Silicon Valley is a hub. Silicon Valley is an unfair advantage for startups. A trader on Wall St.

article thumbnail

Remote Work in the Time of COVID-19

ReadWriteStart

In an instant, remote work went from a small Silicon Valley trend to a ubiquitous element of daily life. The fact that the Internet and remote work apps are finally fast and robust enough that near-seamless remote collaboration is possible. Now, it’s the new normal. Many people are more productive working from home.

article thumbnail

Why Has LA Suddenly Gotten So Much Attention from VCs and Entrepreneurs?

Both Sides of the Table

Many people don’t realize that the majority of the monetization of the Internet originated in Los Angeles but was perfected in Silicon Valley. He built & sold iMall in Internet 1.0 But the “monetization heart of the Internet” doesn’t stop at Overture, Applied Semantics and MySpace.

article thumbnail

In Silicon Valley, Founders Fight for Control

online.wsj.com

Create a profile for me in the Journal Community. Journal Community. The Wall Street Journal is phasing out support of the Internet Explorer 6 (IE6) browser. Internet Explorer. Theres a power struggle underway in Silicon Valley. Why Register? Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions. Todays Paper.

article thumbnail

Can You Really Build a Great Tech Firm Outside Silicon Valley?

Both Sides of the Table

Last year I was on Sand Hill Road in Silicon Valley meeting with one of the most prominent venture capital firms in the country. And this Silicon Valley bias isn’t limited to any single meeting – it has been a recurring theme in my time as a VC. Funding is different outside of Silicon Valley.