article thumbnail

Choosing a Programming Language and Framework for Your Startup

SoCal CTO

For example, you may have content management and community needs that closely align with Drupal. It's way easier to get your pages setup in these languages than by choosing Java alone. Of course, I'm not sure that anyone chooses Java alone. There are some cautions around these choices, but it is often the basis of a choice.

Framework 330
article thumbnail

50 Places You Can Learn to Code (for Free) Online

YoungUpstarts

University-level courses, tutorials, cheat sheets, and coding communities all offer excellent ways to pick up a new language, and maybe even a new job, too. Learn Code the Hard Way : On Learn Code The Hard Way, you’ll find books and courses to learn Python, Ruby, C, SQL, and Regex. Language Specific.

Ruby 237
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Skills Development in Africa: How Wide is the Skills Gap?

Transformify

Java EE, Java SE, PHP, and Javascript are the most common programming languages. Java EE, Java SE, Javascript, PHP, Software, Development, Software Testing, SQL. MySQL, PHP, Software Architecture, Software Development, Software Testing, SQL, Web Hosting, AngularJS. Project/ Product Management.

Africa 75
article thumbnail

What is Drupal? or, My retraining in Software Development

Scalable Startup

But, there is a serious gap in the discipline, number of developers and community around real software development here. In the birthplace of Java, BSD, SQL and many other critical software technologies, Drupal and PHP are spreading like a California wildfire. Also lot’s of fake, wanna be CTOs here. (So What is Drupal?

article thumbnail

CEO Friday: Why we don’t hire.NET programmers

blog.expensify.com

As one of the coherent commentators says below, Joel Spolsky himself laments schools teaching Java with the same basic reasoning of my article above, albeit more diplomatically stated.) .NET But I’ve seen some recent comments that this post might have upset and offended the SMB community that we serve, and that I cannot abide.

Java 107
article thumbnail

How to hire a programmer to make your ideas happen

sivers.org

I had a look at the source code, and it was chock-full of SQL injection vulnerabilities. Dont go C or Java, python is good for prototyping and easier to learn. Superficially it sort of worked, but the underlying code is so full of fundamental coding errors (God classes, SQL Injection opportunities, massive global dependencies etc.)

article thumbnail

Startup Resources

www.vccafe.com

Ning Communities. t have time to learn iOS or Java during the weekend. Aptana Cloud (svn, IDE, php, java, rails etc…). On-line Communities. SQL database hosting from browser.Python/Javascript APIs. Google Groups. Forms/Surveys. Google Forms. Survey Monkey. Personal storage. Website/Blogging. Social/Sharing.