article thumbnail

Some Thoughts on Branding Startups and Communities

Both Sides of the Table

We threw a Launchpad LA dinner to bring the community together as we tend to do 6-10 times a year. Brad wrote up his answer here – you should read it because it’s very instructive for how I believe communities ought to think about naming conventions. ” That always stuck with me. That seems very Brad to me.

Community 304
article thumbnail

Public Hospital Modern Woes – Aging Infrastructure, Unions, Pensions, High Regulation. 

The Startup Magazine

From California, to Illinois, and New York many of the largest U.S. Some of the country’s greatest cities are on the brink of calamity. Felix Rohaytn, widely credited with saving New York City in the 1970’s, recently published “ Bold Endeavors. ” [1] In it he warns: “The nation is falling apart – literally.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Startup Capital: Feast or Famine?

Gust

It is suggested that companies cannot find the cash necessary to start new and exciting ventures. Furthermore during this economic downturn, we’ve heard a crescendo of voices lamenting the lack of startup funding, as communities finally recognize that new companies are the key source of job creation in this country.

SBIR 120
article thumbnail

How Do You Know If a Startup Accelerator Is Right For Your Company?

Up and Running

Accelerators focus on early-stage startups, while incubators are geared toward later-stage startups. Signing up for local meet-ups and newsletters like Gary’s Guide in NYC as well as attending hackathons are also great ways to find accelerator programs and get plugged into the startup community. Accelators.

Incubator 105
article thumbnail

Flexible VCs With Structures Between Equity and Revenue-Based Investing

David Teten

His work on VC and small communities can be found at greatercolorado.vc/blog. This essay is part of a series on alternative VC: I: Revenue-Based Investing: a new option for founders who care about control. GCVF is pioneering the future of venture capital and high growth startups for all small communities. We plan to raise $2.5m

Equity 78
article thumbnail

Entrepreneurs Are Everywhere Show No. 1: Richard Witten and Kathryn Minshew

Steve Blank

Here’s what he had to say: Steve : One of the surprising things for me sitting in the West Coast, is when (then New York City) Mayor Bloomberg basically dissed all (of the universities in New York and picked Cornell and the Technion for a new applied sciences and technology campus.)

article thumbnail

How to Impress Angel Investors and Make It into “Startup Heaven”

Up and Running

Many angels are entrepreneurs themselves, or executives and business or community leaders. Dan Nainan, Angel from New York City, NY | Website | Twitter. An angel investor is a high net worth individual who invests their own money into startup companies in the hopes of gaining a return on their money. 51 percent).