article thumbnail

How Do I Feel About the Snap IPO Given I Didn’t Invest?

Both Sides of the Table

It was a “disappearing text app” where the founders told me that they named the company because the idea came from how Tiger Woods got caught cheating on his wife because all of his mistresses had evidence that he cheated because they saved text messages from him. I love this product & the community I’ve formed there.

IPO 214
article thumbnail

How Many Angels is the Right Amount for a Startup to Have?

Both Sides of the Table

million from more than 30 investors. After they see a name they trust, everybody wants to invest” It’s called “ social proof ” and it’s a good thing for entrepreneurs. But we’ve gotten the point where ENIFA and they will invest with no information based solely on the name of who else has invested.

Cap Table 150
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How Investors Are Increasing Their Returns Through Collaboration and Technology

David Teten

Howard Lindzon is Co-Founder and CEO of StockTwits, a social network for traders and investors to share real-time ideas and information. Mr. Lindzon has more than 20 years experience in the financial community acting in both an entrepreneurial and investing capacity. and Tweetdeck (purchased by Twitter in June 2011).

article thumbnail

What Entrepreneurs Should do about Price Fixing

Both Sides of the Table

It is such a small community that it is hard to raise money by stealth. If you have a “lead&# investor agreed then the price is already set and you don’t have to worry about price. This also happens with VCs. Information flows. That is why I tell people not to shop deals too widely. Was it collusion?

article thumbnail

How to Get World Class Experts to Support Your Company

David Teten

I was excited to see that GLG (formerly Gerson Lehrman Group), the industry leader, is now offering a professional network service geared to the needs of the startup community: GLG Share. Over the past 15 years we’ve built this amazing membership to serve our core clients – leading investors, corporations, consulting firms, and nonprofits.

New York 114
article thumbnail

Can OpenAI Live Up To The ‘Open’ Brand Promise?

Hunter Walker

Is Their Company Name a Core Value Or Marketing Spin You learn a lot when buying a first home. And I learned that the origin of a neighborhood’s name will reveal whether or not it’s descriptively accurate. spoiler, in my case it’s foggy] Hearing a company’s brand name always brings me back to this point. Or was it a feint?

Naming 62
article thumbnail

9 Tips for Raising Startup Funds on AngelList

mashable.com

AngelList is an online community that matches startups with investors to streamline the fundraising process. If you can name drop big customers, do that too — you want your profile to look impressive. Look for Your Lead Investor. This list of top angel investors is a good start. Include numbers.