article thumbnail

How Do I Feel About the Snap IPO Given I Didn’t Invest?

Both Sides of the Table

Are you beating up every Silicon Valley VC that didn’t do Facebook or Google or Uber early? We felt proud to be the lead investor in Maker Studios at a sub $5 million valuation. Snapchat truly built an amazing product and an amazing community and anybody who knows me knows that I’m very active on it.

IPO 214
article thumbnail

How Many Angels is the Right Amount for a Startup to Have?

Both Sides of the Table

” I found myself nodding through all of it with quotes like, “Seed investing is the status symbol of Silicon Valley,” said Sam Altman. And from Nancy Hua … “Too many angels can also hurt a start-up and be taken as an indication that a company is not strong enough to attract any one “leadinvestor, said Ms.

Cap Table 150
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Why The SBIC Doesn’t Work For Venture Capital Anymore

Feld Thoughts

If you want to see a fun quote on it, read A History of Silicon Valley which quotes: “ …many venture capital pioneers think the SBIC program did little to advance the art and practice of venture investing. ” And if you’re curious, it wasn’t too long ago that Silicon Valley was also dying.

SBIC 142
article thumbnail

The Difference Between ?No? and ?Not Yet? ? AGILEVC

Agile VC

But at NextView we try to be as deeply engaged in the entrepreneurial community in a variety of different ways (mentorship, accelerators, demo events , etc). Im a former Silicon Valley entrepreneur turned East Coast VC. Author howerl. Filed under Uncategorized. Read More ».

article thumbnail

Angel Bootcamp, The Blog Post: A Primer on Angel Investing

View from Seed

It was really helpful for the community, and it is something we’ll probably do again, although not every year. I find the best angels tend to do great not because they are fixated on making money but because they want to participate in the startup community and be involved in the most exciting projects. Investment Strategy.

article thumbnail

Angel Bootcamp, The Blog Post: A Primer on Angel Investing

View from Seed

It was really helpful for the community, and it is something we’ll probably do again, although not every year. I find the best angels tend to do great not because they are fixated on making money but because they want to participate in the startup community and be involved in the most exciting projects. Investment Strategy.

article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #7, Brian Chesky Part 1: running Airbnb in crisis mode, being multi-stakeholder, and re-founding the company

Startup Lessons Learned

I've known Brian Chesky, Co-Founder, CEO and Head of Community at Airbnb for a long time. 5:01) Brian's thoughts on the human dimension to his approach and how that sets him apart in Silicon Valley. (6:06) 59:03) The need for creativity, intuition and compassion in Silicon Valley and business. (1:00:23)