article thumbnail

Lessons from a Diverse Venture Capital Portfolio

This is going to be BIG.

All were backed based on the sole criteria that they had the potential to make my limited partners a lot of money. The diversity is the direct result of our mission—to build the most accessible venture capital fund in NY. Three of the founding teams are married couples. I don’t require warm intros.

article thumbnail

How to Scale a Venture Capital (or Private Equity) Fund

David Teten

– Encourage founders to turn to other founders and their broader community as resources, not just the VC’s own staff. First Round Capital’s forum for portfolio executives is a powerful example of a scaleable resource. – Launch a venture capital fund of funds. This evolves the VC from a server to a router.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How to Get Superior Returns in Venture Capital

David Teten

a “Bitcoin Fund”, a “Social Media Fund”, a “Nanotech Fund”), you’re going to raise capital from Limited Partners who are very focused on Theme X. Similarly, firms like my alma mater ff Venture Capital and Andreessen Horowitz have executed this strategy in VC. – Network. – Incubating companies.

article thumbnail

How to Get Superior Returns in Venture Capital

David Teten

a “Bitcoin Fund”, a “Social Media Fund”, a “Nanotech Fund”), you’re going to raise capital from Limited Partners who are very focused on Theme X. Similarly, firms like my alma mater ff Venture Capital and Andreessen Horowitz have executed this strategy in VC. – Network. – Incubating companies.

article thumbnail

How Private Equity and Venture Capital Investors Are Eating Their Own Dogfood

David Teten

Private equity and venture capital investors are copying our sisters in the hedge fund and mutual fund world: we’re trying to automate more of our job. Meyler Capital is taking the analytical rigor of modern internet marketing and applying it to fund marketing. 2) Raise capital. But we’re doing it slowly.

article thumbnail

Corporate Venture Capital: Obligatory or Oxymoron?

David Teten

She had so much insight to share that we broke the interview into two parts, 1) Corporate Venture Capital and more broadly, 2) How the Fortune 500 Can Buy, Invest and Partner with the Innovation Economy (coming soon). . Teten: How do corporate VCs interact with the broader VC community? .

article thumbnail

Who Should be on Your Startup Board?

Both Sides of the Table

Others may not have the experience you want and they fill up a seat that makes retaining founder control more difficult if you ultimately raise large rounds of venture capital in the future. What happens at the A-round of venture capital? The Limited Partners (LPs) who back funds don’t expect their dollars to be passive.