article thumbnail

How to Compete Against Open Source Competition

Software By Rob

At some point in the past year I watched a video of an Eric Sink presentation and he asked the following question (he said it was asked of him by a college student): Why would someone buy your product when it has an open source competitor? Are there exceptions in the open source world? The UI could kill small animals.

article thumbnail

World with Bitcoin

The Startup Magazine

Bitcoin was created by an anonymous person or group under the name Satoshi Nakamoto and released as open-source software in 2009. The world Bitcoin impact has been tremendous on our financial systems and the expanding community will only become more popular as people realise that Bitcoin will swallow the whole future in it.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Transcript of How to Build a Community Around Your Business

Duct Tape Marketing

Transcript of How to Build a Community Around Your Business written by John Jantsch read more at Duct Tape Marketing. He is a community and collaboration strategy consultant, advisor and speaker. That’s the first time I’ve seen that name, actually. No, my real name is Jonathan. My stage name is Jono.

article thumbnail

Startup opportunities in the Metaverse

VC Cafe

Minecraft would usually belong into the first category but with a big caveat: some of Minecraft’s code is open-source and r ecently a team unaffiliated with Microsoft built a web3 , crypto, layer on top of it. . There will be people, especially from the crypto community, that disagree with us on this one.

Startup 187
article thumbnail

30 Entrepreneurs Reveal Their Favorite Disruptors

Hearpreneur

When I think, of a “disruptor,” the first name that comes to mind is Elon Musk. He has also been an outspoken advocate for the power of collaboration and open-source software. Cryptocurrency is going to really disrupt banking by taking over one of its essential services, namely, secured payments. 19- Bitcoin. 30- Workiva.

article thumbnail

The unimportance of product names

37signals.com

The unimportance of product names. Don’t waste too much time on picking a perfect name for your product. And what about picking a name that’s available as a domain? Obsessing over a name is an easy time trap to fall into when you should be focused on more important obstacles (i.e. Apr 27 2010. Ty Fujimura.

article thumbnail

Hacking Innovation Education in New York

This is going to be BIG.

The local tech community is figuring this out, not surprisingly, way before the academic institutions are—and where it is being discovered by academia, it’s being done on a one-off basis by educational revolutionaries in the innovation space who aren’t stopping to ask their schools for permission or to change curricula.

New York 116