article thumbnail

Is Going for Rapid Growth Always Good? Aren’t Startups So Much More?

Both Sides of the Table

As a person who spends much time thinking about the venture capital & startup community and who has seen good times & bad times across many economic cycles the article is well written. And the wrong message is frankly strewn all over Silicon Valley. And this is fueled by the VC culture in Silicon Valley.

article thumbnail

Leaving Government for the Private Sector – Part 2

Steve Blank

Often companies will put you on their advisory board just to use your name and image (and not really want your advice). I didn’t want to have to sell back into the intelligence community, because I didn’t want to leverage my contacts so tactically, but plenty of people do it (and we need good people to do it.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Hacking For Defense In Silicon Valley

Steve Blank

BMNT , a new Silicon Valley company, is combining the Lean Methods it learned in combat with the technology expertise and speed of startups. and the Soviet Union faced off with a nuclear deterrence policy called mutually assured destruction (aptly named MAD.) Lead, follow or get the heck out of the way. In peacetime the U.S.

article thumbnail

We Don’t Talk Enough About Money In Silicon Valley. No, Really.

Hunter Walker

We don’t really talk about money in Silicon Valley. Don’t values and community come from sharing experiences and being vulnerable together? I know I’ve got some reach for what I write, at least within a narrow community. At least not in public in a personal way with near strangers. I LOVE THIS!

article thumbnail

An international CEO’s guide to Silicon Valley

The Next Web

To the international community, Silicon Valley is the heart of the startup world. Entrepreneurs from around the globe are drawn in as they look to follow in the footsteps of others who have successfully launched companies in the US – Elon Musk, Sergey Brin and Mikkel Svane – to name a few.

article thumbnail

10 Best Cities in the United States for Startups and Entrepreneurs (2018)

crowdSPRING Blog

Silicon Valley has dominated the U.S. Despite repeated efforts, only a few cities outside the Valley (New York and Boston) have historically had the critical mix of VC funding, network, and talent to fuel vibrant startup centers. cities (outside of Silicon Valley and the East Coast), to build your startup.

article thumbnail

China Startups – The Gold Rush and Fire Extinguishers (Part 5 of 5)

Steve Blank

But for the last decade “innovation” in Chinese software meant something different than it did in Silicon Valley. Entrepreneurs in Beijing were knowledgeable about Silicon Valley, entrepreneurship and the state of software and tools available for two reasons. Of course “copy” is too strong a word. Beijing’s Academic Hub.

China 323