article thumbnail

Venture Capital Funding and the Sexism You Can’t Quite Prove

Up and Running

At the outset, it is worth noting that when it comes to the world of venture funding, I am a bit of an outsider. Until a handful of years ago, I didn’t even know what venture capital was, let alone anything about the complicated process of actually acquiring VC funding. I don’t know how it operates behind closed doors.

article thumbnail

5 Steps To Finding The Best Investor For Your Startup

Startup Professionals Musings

Reverse due diligence on the investor is a comparable process whereby the entrepreneur seeks to validate the track record, operating style, and motivation of every potential partner. Check for positive or negative news articles, press releases, relationships, and support of community organizations.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How to Scale a Venture Capital (or Private Equity) Fund

David Teten

I’ve listed them below in *very* roughly descending order of efficiency, measured by increased dollars one can put to work, divided by the operational dollars required to implement each strategy. . – Encourage founders to turn to other founders and their broader community as resources, not just the VC’s own staff.

article thumbnail

How To Get a Job In Venture Capital

VC Adventure

The number of new venture firms raising their first fund has increased markedly – especially since 2011 (new funds are a good barometer of the growth of the industry, and a leading indicator of job growth in venture capital). Not getting a job in venture may be the best thing that happens to your career.

article thumbnail

How to Get Superior Returns in Venture Capital

David Teten

I saw “ portfolio operations ,” i.e., levers to enhance the operations efficacy of portfolio companies, become a standard part of the private equity toolkit. Similarly, firms like my alma mater ff Venture Capital and Andreessen Horowitz have executed this strategy in VC. – Technology stack. billion.

article thumbnail

How to Get Superior Returns in Venture Capital

David Teten

I saw “ portfolio operations ,” i.e., levers to enhance the operations efficacy of portfolio companies, become a standard part of the private equity toolkit. Similarly, firms like my alma mater ff Venture Capital and Andreessen Horowitz have executed this strategy in VC. – Technology stack. billion.

article thumbnail

Corporate Venture Capital: Obligatory or Oxymoron?

David Teten

She had so much insight to share that we broke the interview into two parts, 1) Corporate Venture Capital and more broadly, 2) How the Fortune 500 Can Buy, Invest and Partner with the Innovation Economy (coming soon). . Entrepreneurs today expect more than just capital from their investors.