article thumbnail

How to Get Superior Returns in Venture Capital

David Teten

The importance of reputation is why, for example, Andreessen Horowitz invested early and heavily in their own PR, adding PR guru Margit Wennmachers as a Partner. . My HOF Capital colleague Victor Wang observes that Union Square Ventures is a particularly good example of the power of a correct thesis. – Thesis.

article thumbnail

How to Get Superior Returns in Venture Capital

David Teten

The importance of reputation is why, for example, Andreessen Horowitz invested early and heavily in their own PR, adding PR guru Margit Wennmachers as a Partner. . My HOF Capital colleague Victor Wang observes that Union Square Ventures is a particularly good example of the power of a correct thesis. – Thesis.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How Private Equity and Venture Capital Investors Are Eating Their Own Dogfood

David Teten

Private equity and venture capital investors are copying our sisters in the hedge fund and mutual fund world: we’re trying to automate more of our job. to motivate their angel community to support their startups. But we’re doing it slowly. FounderSuite * helps early-stage companies in their fundraising process. .

article thumbnail

Announcing nextNY Fellows: An Innovation Community Leadership Initiative

This is going to be BIG.

Five years ago, I started nextNY with the idea that it would be participant driven--that the community would take an active role in managing itself. Monthly small group lunches with leaders in the innovation community--like venture capital firms and successful entrepreneurs. - The details of this program are below. .

Community 102
article thumbnail

How to Create Free Buzz for Your Startup

David Teten

For startup companies trying to build buzz around their brand, but without the capital to launch a full-fledged PR campaign, there are a lot of ways to hack the PR game. To begin with, the best PR you can build is through satisfied customers with high Net Promoter scores. Host an event. Photo credit: Zitona.

article thumbnail

Why The SBIC Doesn’t Work For Venture Capital Anymore

Feld Thoughts

Next, there is the wonderful PR quote about the SBIC that says “Since the program’s inception, SBIC “success stories” include the funding of companies such as Apple, Costco and FedEx when they were burgeoning small businesses.” The SBIC was instrumental in the creation of the venture capital business.

SBIC 142
article thumbnail

How to Get into Venture Capital - An Update

This is going to be BIG.

About seven years ago, I wrote a post on breaking into venture capital and I continue to point the five or six people a week who ask me how to break into venture. Today, I want to add two addendum to it, based on the work of two up and coming women in the NYC tech community. Venture Capital & Technology'