article thumbnail

Why The Government is Isn’t a Bigger Version of a Startup

Steve Blank

academia was engaged in weapon systems research for the Defense Department and intelligence community. Some of the best and brightest wanted to work for defense contractors or corporate research and development labs. In a startup cluster (Silicon Valley, Beijing, Tel Aviv) a failed entrepreneur is known as “experienced.”

article thumbnail

Observations from my trip to India

Version One Ventures

It’s obviously very large, but most start-up activity is concentrated in a few cities: Bangalore (the “Silicon Valley” of India), Delhi (the 33m strong capital of India), Mumbai (the financial capital) and Chennai. There is definitely an enthusiastic community to build on and I met some very smart crypto founders during my trip!

India 87
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Tech Industry Hiring In Canada Continues To Grow

YoungUpstarts

Vancouver has a situated tech market with a direct line to Silicon Valley. Betakit.com, a startup news website, reached out to the Montreal tech community with a list that was developed with all the new up and coming tech companies in 2019. The province has a robust start-up community. Job sites such as BCjobs.ca

Canada 167
article thumbnail

Beyond the garage

Startup Lessons Learned

It may be hard to remember that there was a time when people in the agile software development community thought Lean Startup was incompatible with agile practices. And, most importantly, the Lean Startup idea is starting to take root in industries and contexts very different from it’s Silicon Valley roots.

article thumbnail

Customer Development in Japan: a History Lesson

Steve Blank

A few of the many quotations that struck me: “Most startups fail due not to the failure of product development but due to the lack of customers”. Learning and discovering who a company’s initial customers will be and what market they are in, requires a process separate and distinct from product development”.

Japan 292
article thumbnail

How Sin-Mei Tsai, Shippo’s VP of Engineering, Defines Code Quality

Version One Ventures

Six weeks ago, we kicked off a new series where we profile an awesome operator in our network to learn about his/her work and contributions to his/her organization and community at large. With that said, I thought it would be great to share Sin-Mei’s insight and wisdom with our blog community. Value to customers.

article thumbnail

Are You Putting Your Rock Star Customers To Work?

YoungUpstarts

Brilliant ad agencies and clever marketing communications experts. Talented product developers. When 3M brought “lead users” into its innovation process, they improved revenues by a factor of eight times over innovations from internal product developers. Highly trained salespeople. Even PhD analytics eggheads.

Customer 154