article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Scaling from maker to manager

Version One Ventures

If you do decide that you want to become a “manager”, there are a few things that can help you grow in to this role: Coach: Today, most CEOs of Silicon Valley start-ups use coaches to develop their CEO skills. More and more VCs are making sure they build a community around their founders. How to grow into the role of manager.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

My Advice To Entrepreneurs: Consider Canada For Your Startup

YoungUpstarts

For aspiring entrepreneurs, it’s hard to resist the allure of Silicon Valley. The access to some of the world’s brightest minds in technology, the proximity to some of the industry’s most influential brands, and the vast networking opportunities in both start-up and investor communities is hard to ignore.

Canada 100
article thumbnail

10 Best Cities in the United States for Startups and Entrepreneurs (2018)

crowdSPRING Blog

Silicon Valley has dominated the U.S. Despite repeated efforts, only a few cities outside the Valley (New York and Boston) have historically had the critical mix of VC funding, network, and talent to fuel vibrant startup centers. cities (outside of Silicon Valley and the East Coast), to build your startup.

article thumbnail

10 Best Cities in the United States for Startups and Entrepreneurs

crowdSPRING Blog

Silicon Valley has dominated the U.S. Despite repeated efforts, only a few cities outside the Valley (New York and Boston) have historically had the critical mix of funding, network, and talent to fuel vibrant startup centers. The overall culture in Austin is renowned for its supportiveness of the small business community.

article thumbnail

The 4 Best Cities In America For Startups

YoungUpstarts

If you really want to make it, you need to go somewhere that allows you to network with the thriving tech community. San Francisco is already well publicized. Everyone knows that Silicon Valley has been, historically speaking, the source of much innovation. There is just one problem – you can’t do it alone.

America 100
article thumbnail

We Don’t Talk Enough About Money In Silicon Valley. No, Really.

Hunter Walker

We don’t really talk about money in Silicon Valley. Don’t values and community come from sharing experiences and being vulnerable together? I know I’ve got some reach for what I write, at least within a narrow community. At least not in public in a personal way with near strangers.