article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Why Has LA Suddenly Gotten So Much Attention from VCs and Entrepreneurs?

Both Sides of the Table

. Many people don’t realize that the majority of the monetization of the Internet originated in Los Angeles but was perfected in Silicon Valley. But the “monetization heart of the Internet” doesn’t stop at Overture, Applied Semantics and MySpace.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Some Thoughts on Branding Startups and Communities

Both Sides of the Table

We threw a Launchpad LA dinner to bring the community together as we tend to do 6-10 times a year. Somebody asked the question, “What do you think about the term ‘Silicon Beach? I hate Silicon Whatever. If anything using the word “Silicon” seems a bit derivative to NorCal. LA should be LA.”

Community 304
article thumbnail

Touching the Hot Stove – Experiential versus Theoretical Learning.

Steve Blank

Customer Development/Lean Startups In hindsight startups and the venture capital community left out the most important first step any startup ought to be doing – hypothesis testing in front of customers- from day one. Steve Blanks 30 years of Silicon Valley startup advice. I was an idiot. Order Here. To Order Outside of the U.S.

article thumbnail

Want to Start a Technology Company in LA?

Both Sides of the Table

First, I’d like to quote (paraphrase) Brad Feld speaking at Twiistup in LA in 2009, “I keep hearing people in LA talking with a chip on their shoulders about building a tech business here relative to Silicon Valley. But LA is not Silicon Valley and we don’t need to aspire to be so. Come join us.

article thumbnail

Can You Really Build a Great Tech Firm Outside Silicon Valley?

Both Sides of the Table

Last year I was on Sand Hill Road in Silicon Valley meeting with one of the most prominent venture capital firms in the country. And this Silicon Valley bias isn’t limited to any single meeting – it has been a recurring theme in my time as a VC. Funding is different outside of Silicon Valley.

article thumbnail

A Visitors Guide to Silicon Valley

Steve Blank

If you’re a visiting dignitary whose country has a Gross National Product equal to or greater than the State of California, your visit to Silicon Valley consists of a lunch/dinner with some combination of the founders of Google, Facebook, Apple and Twitter and several brand name venture capitalists. Hackers’ Guide to Silicon Valley.