article thumbnail

This Week in Venture Capital – Episode 2

Both Sides of the Table

I was on This Week in Venture Capital (TWiVC) again this week with Jason Calacanis. Bill Gross is the man responsible for the overwhelming amount of monetization on the web. 10 million in Series B Menlo Ventures , Steamboat. Tags: This Week in Venture Capital VC Industry. High Profile Deal of the Week: 1.

article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Brad Feld Drops Knowledge. Here’s What He Said …

Both Sides of the Table

Yeah, that was when I changed for me…” “…there was so much positive feedback on demystifying this one element of venture capital. This time frame – 2005/2006 – web 2.0 Brad’s start in Venture Capital. Was about a billion dollars on the IPO” and “was one of the first web analytics companies.

article thumbnail

The Collaborative Web: Github is the New Flickr

This is going to be BIG.

I was chatting with Thor Muller a couple of weeks ago about web trends--and he made a very insightful point as I talked about how I see more and more models around getting people to work together in different ways. He said that Flickr taught us all about social applications--and gave birth to Web 2.0 Need to find a collaborator?

Web 127
article thumbnail

New Meetup on Building Tech Tools for Private Equity+VC Investors

David Teten

My colleague Sebastian Soler, software engineer at ff Venture Capital, is leading the launch of a new Meetup with me. I’ve just launched a new Meetup and online community I’m heading up with David. I also teach Front-End Web Development at General Assembly. I asked him to write a guest post: Hi!

article thumbnail

Bad returns be damned: Venture capital fundraising jumps 31 percent in U.S

www.geekwire.com

VENTURE CAPITAL. AMAZON WEB SERVICES. You are here: Home / Startups / Bad returns be damned: Venture capital fundraising jumps 31 percent in U.S. Bad returns be damned: Venture capital fundraising jumps 31 percent in U.S. Senior Software Engineer - Web-based Applications. GeekWire Events.

article thumbnail

It’s Morning in Venture Capital

Both Sides of the Table

Many observers of the venture capital industry have questioned whether its best days are behind it. Looking ahead at the next decade I am excited by what I believe will be viewed as one of the best and most rational investment periods for venture capital due to seven discrete factors: 1. Today we’re online 3.1