article thumbnail

Texas Gets A New Tech Equity Program

Austin Startup

Favor has donated over $32,000 in scholarship awards to ensure Dream Corps TECH Members and Cohort Alumni, within the state of Texas, will be able to seek higher education opportunities with a focus on technology degrees (undergraduate and/or graduate) as well as professionals seeking professional certifications as a full-time employee.

article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld. Think again.

Community 378
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

ATA Action Alert: Texas’ bathroom bill

Austin Startup

Sign on to a tech community letter On July 18, the Texas Legislature will begin a special session, and one of the topics they’ll consider is the “ bathroom bill ” — proposed legislation to restrict where transgender Texans can use the bathroom and weaken existing non-discrimination protections in Austin and other cities across Texas.

Texas 48
article thumbnail

Calling all startup community organizers in Texas for GEW!

Austin Startup

Sign up to be a Community Organizer for Global Entrepreneurship Week in November and celebrate the entrepreneurs in your city while tapping into a global movement. Texas needs to represent! The only way it could get any bigger is to bring more TEXAS to it! Texas is a country, isn’t it? That’s where YOU come in.

Texas 89
article thumbnail

Add Your Name: Austin Tech Community Letter Supporting 5G

Austin Startup

Austin is far behind other communities in permitting small cells, technology that will bring 5G?—?the In fact, a recent Texas Senate hearing revealed that among the major metropolitan areas in the state, Houston had approved 548 small cell permit applications, Dallas had approved 288, and Austin had approved only two.

article thumbnail

I am a proud Mexican-American “Tejano” who grew up in South Texas.

Austin Startup

I love you New England, but Texas is calling me home Why we Moved Back To Texas I love you New England, but Texas is calling me home I am a proud Mexican-American “Tejano” who grew up in South Texas. As a teenager I moved away from Texas to Chicago to put myself through school and find opportunity outside of South Texas.

Texas 48
article thumbnail

Breyer Capital Austin?—?End of Year Update

Austin Startup

Old and new friends have reached out to welcome us to their community and share ideas about how we could play an impactful role in this remarkable city and state. Even in 2020, a difficult year by any measure, the Austin community has surpassed all of my expectations. Charles Holley, Joe Ogilvie, Ross Perot Jr.,

Austin 84