article thumbnail

Doubling Down On a Good Thing: The National Science Foundation’s I-Corps Lite

Steve Blank

SBIR/STTR Program and Startup Seed Funding. The Small Business Innovative Research ( SBIR ) and Small Business Technology Transfer ( STTR ) programs are startup seed funds created by Congress to encourage U.S. The SBIR/STTR program made ~6,200 seed stage investments in 2014, dwarfing the seed investments made by venture capital.

SBIR 120
article thumbnail

Hacking for Defense @ Stanford 2019

Steve Blank

Our keynote speaker was Palmer Luckey , founder of Oculus and the designer of the Oculus Rift. I want to make my community, country or world a better place, while solving some of the toughest problems.”. He’s now the CEO/founder of the AI-focussed defense contractor Anduril Industries. Presentation Format. Team: Learn2Win.

Oakland 266
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Technology, Innovation, and Modern War – Class 10 – The DOD and Modern War –– Michèle Flournoy

Steve Blank

Joe Felter , Raj Shah and I designed a class to examine the new military systems, operational concepts and doctrines that will emerge from 21st century technologies – Space, Cyber, AI & Machine Learning and Autonomy. It was time to take their claim, their rightful place in the international community. Lessons Learned.

article thumbnail

Entrepreneurs are Everywhere Show No. 26: Javier Saade and Hillary Hartley

Steve Blank

” Two of the entrepreneurial programs, which I managed is called the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR), and the Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs. Hillary has been working to make government more accessible and available online for nearly two decades, starting as a web designer for Arkansas.gov in 1997.

article thumbnail

Free money for your impact tech startup

David Teten

Fortunately, there are a wide range of organizations that specifically want to support you, not just the VC community. I worked with outsourced research firm Wonder * to identify all of the institutions we could who support tech impact startups with cash and community, and in many cases without dilution. Kairos Fellows. “The

article thumbnail

What would you want to tell Washington DC about startups?

Startup Lessons Learned

So heres my simple question: What do folks in Washington need to know about the global community of entrepreneurs? Policy makers need to know: regulations designed to manage big-companies actually protect those companies by stifling innovation (and competition) from startups. You can see the design of the program here.

DC 90
article thumbnail

Hacking for Defense @ Stanford 2018 – wonder and awe

Steve Blank

Note: The Hacking for Defense class was designed as “fundamental research” to be shared broadly and the results are not subject to restriction for proprietary or national security reasons. Few consider opportunities to make the world safer with the Department of Defense, Intelligence Community or other government agencies.