article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

29 Entrepreneurs Explain What They Love About Being an Entrepreneur

Hearpreneur

Being in love with your business, when you’re an entrepreneur, is even better. Although there are days when tossing in your hat seems like a viable option, remembering how much you love your “job” can quickly snap an entrepreneur out of that mentality. The reasons are as varied as the businesses themselves. It is an absolute joy.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

10 Best Cities in the United States for Startups and Entrepreneurs (2018)

crowdSPRING Blog

But this is becoming less true today, as more and more entrepreneurs find their way across the U.S. Increasingly, these metro areas are regularly appearing in rankings of the best cities in the United States for startups and entrepreneurs. It’s no wonder so many entrepreneurs launch their startup in Boulder. Boulder, CO.

article thumbnail

Why Has LA Suddenly Gotten So Much Attention from VCs and Entrepreneurs?

Both Sides of the Table

” It’s the most common refrain I hear from investors and even entrepreneurs these days. When my friend and the father of LA’s tech startup community Bill Gross first demonstrated his company GoTo.com (renamed Overture) on stage at a TED conference he was actually booed (True story. for $565 million to Excite.

article thumbnail

10 Best Cities in the United States for Startups and Entrepreneurs

crowdSPRING Blog

But this is becoming less true today, as more and more entrepreneurs find their way across the U.S. The overall culture in Austin is renowned for its supportiveness of the small business community. Foundry Group’s founder Brad Feld noted : Entrepreneurs here use a ‘give before you get’ mentality. Los Angeles.

article thumbnail

The 4 Best Cities In America For Startups

YoungUpstarts

If you really want to make it, you need to go somewhere that allows you to network with the thriving tech community. Seattle might not be the biggest city on the map, but it’s got a reach that extends to all corners of the globe. With luck, we might even make some money doing it. There is just one problem – you can’t do it alone.

America 100
article thumbnail

The 20 Coolest CoWorking Spaces In The U.S.

YoungUpstarts

With free coffee and Internet, workspaces, and built-in community, coworking spaces provide a great place to get things done without feeling the isolation of working at home, or trying to overcome the frenetic nature of working in a coffee shop. Right near Microsoft’s campus in Seattle, Thinkspace is a cool coworking spot for startups.