article thumbnail

The One Video Every Silicon Valley Investor Should Watch

Both Sides of the Table

The video is simply amazing and is a must watch for any investor but I think will be enjoyed by all entrepreneurs, too. Magic spoke about how when he left basketball he wanted to bring businesses to African American communities that were lacking in basic services. Note: Upfront is an investor]. Have a listen to the video yourself.

article thumbnail

Amsterdam-based Rockstart Accelerator’s first graduates head to Silicon Valley

The Next Web

The accelerator, which counts Amazon CTO Werner Vogels among its startup mentors , will be showcasing its first batch of startups (see list below) in Silicon Valley on the 20th of September, followed by a panel discussion about “The Future of the European Startup Community” Sounds riveting!

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

[Review] Startup Communities

YoungUpstarts

“We need to be like Silicon Valley,” we hear many a startup community organizer around the world intone. But early-stage investor and entrepreneur Bred Feld, the co-founder of VC firms Mobius and Foundry, as well as startup accelerator TechStars , thinks trying to be Silicon Valley is a fool’s errand.

Community 152
article thumbnail

There Is Only ONE Silicon Valley

Gust

Silicon Valley is a very special place – the nucleus of high-growth, high technology entrepreneurship in the US, indeed, in the world. The Valley produces world-class entrepreneurs, angel investors, venture capitalists and successful high-tech companies – all growing and creating jobs on one relatively small peninsula.

article thumbnail

5 Keys To Starting A New Venture In Your Local Town

Startup Professionals Musings

Image via Wikipedia From the advice I hear these days, if you want to be a successful entrepreneur, you need to be in Silicon Valley, Boston, New York, or one of the few other financial hubs around the world. Being an entrepreneur anywhere without fear likely means your business is at risk.

article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Startup Communities Are Up To The Entrepreneurs

Feld Thoughts

As I continue to talk about Startup Communities , I say over and over and over again that the leaders have to be entrepreneurs. Everyone else – who I call the “feeders” (government, university, non-profits, big companies, VCs, angel investors) – have an important role, but the leaders must be entrepreneurs.

Community 163