article thumbnail

Hacking Innovation Education in New York

This is going to be BIG.

We spend way too much time, particularly in and around the New York area, teaching fundraising versus company or product building. They didn’t wait until their universities hired a director of this new program. Teach ‘em Finance and Chase or Accenture will come and pick ‘em up 30 at a time.

New York 114
article thumbnail

Why Small Community Lenders Have Your Back

Up and Running

But don’t fret—community lenders are helping small businesses. Meet the community lenders. Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) are one type of community lender. They are usually nonprofit organizations committed to the mission of making capital accessible to the communities they serve.

Community 117
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Female Founder Interview – Olga Camargo Leads Latinas Fintech Advisory

The Startup Magazine

She launched her financial practice, FARO Associates LLC (Latina/woman-owned/Minority Business Enterprise), and new fintech project, SHENIX, on her culturally-relevant financial services research and community needs. How has the Pandemic changed the way one should approach their finances? My own experience.

Founder 139
article thumbnail

Five common misconceptions about building a startup in New York City

This is going to be BIG.

It’s really difficult for me not to get into the thick of discussions about whether or not you can and/or should build a company in New York City. I grew up here, went to school here, and have worked hard over the last 5+ years to help build up the NYC innovation community. I was there, too. They’re not “dumb Wall Street money”.

article thumbnail

Introduction to the New York Fintech Community

David Teten

FinTech New York Accelerator. Rise New York (good mailing list) – includes the Barclays Accelerator , in partnership with Techstars , and a coworking space for fintech startups. Startupbootcamp Fintech New York. Fintech New York: Partnerships, Platforms and Open Innovation. Broadhaven.

article thumbnail

How to Create a Healthy Local Startup and Tech Community

This is going to be BIG.

In 2010, Antonio Garcia Martinez, the founder of AdGrok, wrote, “New York will always be a tech backwater, I don’t care what Chris Dixon or Ron Conway or Paul Graham say.” On the other had, I wouldn’t be surprised if Miami winds up with a fantastic community feel and vibe but struggles to produce big companies. It takes work.

Community 161
article thumbnail

Why Your Next Startup Should Be In Insurance

YoungUpstarts

Make no mistake, there is a small but mighty insurtech community, but the ecosystem is higher on cash than talent. And then there’s New York-based Lemonade, the most recent insurtech startup to make its way into California. The fusion of insurance and technology, so-called insurtech, is one way that’s happening.