article thumbnail

10,000 Startups – Startup Weekend Next

Steve Blank

Just a crazy idea two years ago, the class is now taught at Stanford , Berkeley, Columbia , Caltech, Princeton and for the National Science Foundation at the University of Michigan and Georgia Tech. The program expands to all of Startup Weekend’s 350 member communities in 2013 where it will be offered up to five times a year in each city.

Startup 335
article thumbnail

Damaged Pure Michigan Brand Impedes Economic Development

Gregg Fraley, Author of Jack's Notebook

Pure Michigan is a Damaged Brand. As a Michigan resident I’ve followed the developments in Flint with a mixture of horror, sadness, outrage, and confusion. The focus of this post is about the damage that has been done to the state of Michigan’s brand, Pure Michigan. Pure Michigan is (or was) a brilliant brand.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

What is a Social Enterprise?

Up and Running

it is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit, but because of its dedication to sustainability, it is now working with local communities to form separate stove manufacturing factories in their countries. Here in the U.S. InStove contributes both the technology for efficient stoves, and the means to create sustainable jobs. B corp, or Benefit Corporation. .”

article thumbnail

The Tucked And The Untucked

Feld Thoughts

Last night I gave the kickoff talk to the West Michigan Policy Forum. I did my riff on Startup Communities and followed it up with a short Q&A on issues specific to Michigan’s entrepreneurial scene. The line I heard in the context of startup communities was “ the collision of the tucked and the untucked.”

Las Vegas 151
article thumbnail

Meet Arbor Brewing Company: How Do You Grow A Local Business Brand?

Brandanew

Arbor brewing company was set up in the summer of 1995 in Ann Arbor, Michigan by the husband-wife duo of Matt and Rene Greff. It is the first brewpub set up in Ann Arbor and the fifth in Michigan. The Arbor Brewing company also has a microbrewery and has recently established global presence in India.

Michigan 100
article thumbnail

SXSW Pitch Finalist: Hemafuse

Austin Startup

Because of a global donor blood shortage, particularly in emerging markets, clinicians and patients don’t have enough access to donor blood. Carolyn Yarina , Co-Founder and CEO of Sisu Global Health. Yarina spoke about the meaning of Sisu in Finnish, the importance of building community, and what she loves about being in Baltimore.

article thumbnail

When You Need To Know – Use A Keylogger

YoungUpstarts

But there is a downside to the global community that instant communication has brought about. A young startup company out of Detroit, Michigan, created a resolution to the problem of wayward employees and curious children. Finding a Solution. There is a solution to your problems.

Detroit 101