article thumbnail

Hacking for Defense @ Stanford 2018 – wonder and awe

Steve Blank

Our primary goal was to teach students Lean Innovation while they engaged in a national public service. Few consider opportunities to make the world safer with the Department of Defense, Intelligence Community or other government agencies. Goals for the Hacking for Defense Class. Origins of the class.

article thumbnail

Hacking for Defense @ Stanford 2017 – Lessons Learned Presentations

Steve Blank

It combines the same Lean Startup Methodology used by the National Science Foundation to commercialize science, with the rapid problem sourcing and curation methodology developed on the battlefields in Afghanistan and Iraq by Colonel Pete Newell and the US Army’s Rapid Equipping Force. Hacking for Energy at Columbia.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

National Security Innovation just got a major boost in Washington

Steve Blank

We combined the Lean Startup methodology – used by the National Science Foundation to commercialize science – with the rapid problem sourcing and solution methodology Pete developed on the battlefields in Afghanistan and Iraq when he ran the US Army’s Rapid Equipping Force. The Congressman From Science and Innovation.

article thumbnail

The Venture Capital Secret: 3 Out of 4 Start-Ups Fail

online.wsj.com

Harley Goes Lean to Build Hogs. Mississippi. Mississippi. Journal Community. Journal Community. A community of WSJ readers interested in franchising news, trends and issues. Journal Community. Answers allows you to tap the knowledge of Community members. Subscriber Content Read Preview.

article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #9, the founders of Frontline Foods on the moral imperative to support frontline workers at scale

Startup Lessons Learned

Thanks to thousands of donations, the people who are dedicated to feeding their communities have the opportunity to serve their food to the people providing critical healthcare. Have you found ways to be in a community of practice, in spite of those obstacles? You can't go to Spirit Rock or Green College. Sydney Gressel : Yeah.

article thumbnail

Why We Need Each Other

Duct Tape Marketing

In the summer of 2008 the entire Upper Mississippi River Basin flooded and inundated ten square miles of Cedar Rapids, including the entire downtown of this community of about 100,000. And, we need sturdy things that we can lean on when we’re unsure. Surprised? I mean you heard about Katrina and Sandy, but Cedar Rapids?

article thumbnail

If I Told You I'd Have to Kill You: The Story Behind “The Secret.

Steve Blank

They were all from somewhere in the intelligence community. Except at this VC conference, 100 or so of the 300 attendees had badges that had their first name and only the last initial of their last name. (And And I could have sworn they all had the same badge.) Until then I had never thought about how long I had been thinking about this.