article thumbnail

How VCs Structure a Syndicate and Recruit Coinvestors

David Teten

GPs strategically invite trusted [Limited Partners and others] to co-invest, often based on the LP’s ability to add value or when the amount of capital required to complete an attractive transaction is larger than they are able to invest alone.”. 2) Investors with very specific value-add. Economic benefit. Market Insight.

article thumbnail

The Twenty Year Itch: My Last VC Investment Out of Brooklyn Bridge Ventures

This is going to be BIG.

I’ll also continue to work within the NYC tech community—now thriving at a level I could hardly have imagined when I first got the pitch deck for USV’s first fund as a Limited Partner at the GM pension fund. To think, I almost didn’t take that 2004 meeting because it was a NYC-based fund. Consider this.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How to Scale a Venture Capital (or Private Equity) Fund

David Teten

– Encourage founders to turn to other founders and their broader community as resources, not just the VC’s own staff. – Build out low-cost force multipliers such as scouts , Advisors, Entrepreneurs in Residence, Venture Partners, and so on. – Syndicate Special Purpose Vehicles (“SPVs”) for specific opportunities.

article thumbnail

An Investor’s Personal Social Media Tech Stack: In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 followers

David Teten

They’re taking a $1m check from me, or giving $5m to me as a limited partner. Other coinvestors: Limited partners, other VCs who are coinvestors, private equity funds which are potential growth-stage investors, etc. Kevin has written over 620 syndicated columns). I host on Hostforweb **.

article thumbnail

Flexible VC, a New Model for Companies Targeting Profitability

David Teten

(co-written with Jamie Finney, Founding Partner at Greater Colorado Venture Fund. His work on VC and small communities can be found at greatercolorado.vc/blog. Coinvestors: Flexible VC terms have not been standardized, which may make the investment harder to syndicate. Lower level of community familiarity. Of the Inc.

article thumbnail

How Private Equity and Venture Capital Investors Are Eating Their Own Dogfood

David Teten

My colleagues Sebastian Soler , Steven Greenberg and I recently launched a new online community, PEVCTech.com , exclusively for PE/VC investors; engineers who work at PE/VC funds; and other technologists who specialize in working on this problem. to motivate their angel community to support their startups. 2) Raise capital.

article thumbnail

Angel Investing: Know (What Motivates) Thyself

Agile VC

2) Gain Market Insight – Another reason to invest in early stage tech startups is to gain additional market insight and connections to the entrepreneurial community. As a VC investing not only personal capital, but on behalf of limited partners, one can’t take this strategy.