article thumbnail

The Secret History of Silicon Valley Part V: Happy 100th Birthday.

Steve Blank

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance I always had been curious about how Silicon Valley, a place I had lived and worked in, came to be. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance I always had been curious about how Silicon Valley, a place I had lived and worked in, came to be. How did Silicon Valley start?

article thumbnail

Amsterdam-based Rockstart Accelerator’s first graduates head to Silicon Valley

The Next Web

The accelerator, which counts Amazon CTO Werner Vogels among its startup mentors , will be showcasing its first batch of startups (see list below) in Silicon Valley on the 20th of September, followed by a panel discussion about “The Future of the European Startup Community” Sounds riveting!

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

5 Keys To Starting A New Venture In Your Local Town

Startup Professionals Musings

Image via Wikipedia From the advice I hear these days, if you want to be a successful entrepreneur, you need to be in Silicon Valley, Boston, New York, or one of the few other financial hubs around the world. In small towns, this may mean sponsoring local events, supporting complementary businesses, and community involvement.

article thumbnail

7 Critical Resources For A Thriving Startup Community

Startup Professionals Musings

I saw these addressed well in a new book, “ The Startup Community Way ,” by Brad Feld and Ian Hathaway. These guys have been building startup communities like Techstars for over 30 years, so they know what works and what doesn’t. Apple has since capitalized on the top technical talent in Silicon Valley to stay ahead of the competition.

Community 329
article thumbnail

Rare event in Palo Alto today: fireside chat with Lifograph and Microsoft

The Startup Magazine

Mendlen flew into Silicon Valley from Seattle specifically for this event to chat with the “Wiki of People” CEO. AGENDA: 5:45pm – 6:30pm – Networking reception. 7:45pm – 8:15pm – General networking. AGENDA: 5:45pm – 6:30pm – Networking reception. Dea Wilson, CEO at Lifograph.

article thumbnail

5 Outrageously Innovative Israeli Startups to Watch in 2020

ReadWriteStart

Silicon Valley gets significant attention for its role in producing tech startups that often go on to see massive, international success. One of those concepts, Tikkun Olam (or, the “repair of the world”) encourages people to behave in a way that’s constructive and beneficial for the entire community.

article thumbnail

Snowflakes in the Valley: What Happens When 40 Nordic Entrepreneurs Visit Silicon Valley

ReadWriteStart

The Internet might be truly global then, but the world of startups still revolves much around Silicon Valley. The old continent often looks up to the Valley as a sort of Eldorado of IT. Silicon Valley is a hub. Silicon Valley is an unfair advantage for startups. A trader on Wall St. Down to Earth.