article thumbnail

Venture Capital Funding and the Sexism You Can’t Quite Prove

Up and Running

At the outset, it is worth noting that when it comes to the world of venture funding, I am a bit of an outsider. Until a handful of years ago, I didn’t even know what venture capital was, let alone anything about the complicated process of actually acquiring VC funding. percent of venture capital deals, and received.33

article thumbnail

How to Scale a Venture Capital (or Private Equity) Fund

David Teten

– Encourage founders to turn to other founders and their broader community as resources, not just the VC’s own staff. First Round Capital’s forum for portfolio executives is a powerful example of a scaleable resource. – Launch a venture capital fund of funds. Manhattan, New York City, in 1911.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Hacking Innovation Education in New York

This is going to be BIG.

We spend way too much time, particularly in and around the New York area, teaching fundraising versus company or product building. They didn’t wait until their universities hired a director of this new program. ” It’s true. It’s as if the plan for creating a startup is: Step #1: Come up with an idea.

New York 114
article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Why Small Community Lenders Have Your Back

Up and Running

But don’t fret—community lenders are helping small businesses. Meet the community lenders. Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) are one type of community lender. They are usually nonprofit organizations committed to the mission of making capital accessible to the communities they serve.

Community 117
article thumbnail

Corporate Venture Capital: Obligatory or Oxymoron?

David Teten

She had so much insight to share that we broke the interview into two parts, 1) Corporate Venture Capital and more broadly, 2) How the Fortune 500 Can Buy, Invest and Partner with the Innovation Economy (coming soon). . New York Times’ timeSpace is a good example. They invest alongside financial VCs.

article thumbnail

[New York] INGENUITY 2013

YoungUpstarts

Despite the challenging US economy, the New York startup scene is burgeoning. And to capitalize on its meteoric challenge to Silicon Valley as the alternative location to startup up in the United States, the New York Venture Capital Association (NYVCA) will be presenting its annual INGENUITY conference on October 15, 2013.

New York 150