article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

How VCs Think About Adding New Partners

Both Sides of the Table

After years of trying to persuade Kara Nortman to become a partner at Upfront Ventures I can officially announce now that she’s joined us effective immediately. It is rare to find somebody who matches exactly what I’m looking for in a partner so when you find it you act: Academic rigor (Princeton undergrad, Stanford MBA).

Partner 408
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Techstars is evolving and growing

David Cohen

I was personally absolutely super sad about closing the original Techstars accelerator location in Boulder after this next class, as well as Seattle (another of the original locations.) The separately funded partner accelerator programs which operate in more than 30 locations worldwide are unchanged. We’re sorry for that.

Denver 163
article thumbnail

2018: Year in review and a look ahead

Version One Ventures

While we have expanded our partnership to two GP and have a bigger fund, our fundamentals stay the same: we invest at seed / pre-seed, in companies that leverage network effects, and across North America (hubs are SF, Toronto/KW, NYC, Seattle). and love marketplaces , social platforms , and Smart SaaS.

article thumbnail

Upfront Ventures Adds Hamet Watt as New Investment Partner

Both Sides of the Table

I am thrilled to announce that we have added Hamet Watt as a Partner at Upfront Ventures. But as sweet as that success has been (we invested pre-revenue in a small team) today my even more important news was the further expansion of our partner ranks. We have been on a drive to add more operational partners. What does that mean?

Partner 340
article thumbnail

Trover, A Mobile Location-Based Discovery Network

YoungUpstarts

The idea was first born as an idea among the management team at TravelPost , a community for travel enthusiasts. Trovers are passionate about sharing the unique things they uncover while exploring their cities or far away places,” says Jason Karas, CEO of Seattle, Washington-based Trover. Trover CEO Jason Karas.

Mobile 167
article thumbnail

Pioneer Square Labs – Investing More In Seattle

Feld Thoughts

PSL, based in Seattle, is a not a VC firm, accelerator, or incubator, but instead is a startup studio, which is a company that creates companies. PSL was announced today and GeekWire’s conference and there’s an extremely comprehensive post explaining how it works at Top Seattle investors raise $12.5M

Seattle 70