article thumbnail

5 Steps To Finding The Best Investor For Your Startup

Startup Professionals Musings

Even though the color of their money is always green, all startup investors are not the same. Investor due diligence on a startup is not a mysterious black art, but is nothing more than a final integrity check on all aspects of your business model, team, product, customers, and plan. It’s no fun for either side.

article thumbnail

5 Startup Funding Models That Depend On The Consumer

Startup Professionals Musings

Yet as I mentor entrepreneurs around the country, crowdfunding still seems to be one of the least understood approaches to startup funding, with more myths than accredited angels and professional venture capital investors combined. Startup equity model. Product pre-order model. Donation good-cause model. In the U.S.,

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Lessons from a Diverse Venture Capital Portfolio

This is going to be BIG.

The diversity is the direct result of our mission—to build the most accessible venture capital fund in NY. Creating this community doesn’t only mean backing diverse founders, but also surrounding yourself with a community of other diverse professionals to help your portfolio. I don’t require warm intros.

article thumbnail

Launching a Portfolio Acceleration Platform at a Venture Capital or Private Equity Fund

David Teten

Almost every private equity and venture capital investor now advertises that they have a platform to support their portfolio companies. VC Platform community has grown approximately 120% in the last 3 years. Requires ongoing management to keep community members engaged. . Organize events in your vertical.

article thumbnail

Venture Capital Funding and the Sexism You Can’t Quite Prove

Up and Running

At the outset, it is worth noting that when it comes to the world of venture funding, I am a bit of an outsider. Until a handful of years ago, I didn’t even know what venture capital was, let alone anything about the complicated process of actually acquiring VC funding. percent of venture capital deals, and received.33

article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. ” Put simply, if you care about building a successful tech community outside Silicon Valley you should read this book.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Why The Government is Isn’t a Bigger Version of a Startup

Steve Blank

academia was engaged in weapon systems research for the Defense Department and intelligence community. And the best startups spun out of Stanford were building components for weapon systems. As there was no venture capital, these early startups were funded by early sales to weapon systems prime contractors and subcontractors.