article thumbnail

Launching a Portfolio Acceleration Platform at a Venture Capital or Private Equity Fund

David Teten

Almost every private equity and venture capital investor now advertises that they have a platform to support their portfolio companies. VC Platform community has grown approximately 120% in the last 3 years. Requires ongoing management to keep community members engaged. . Organize events in your vertical.

article thumbnail

Venture Capital Funding and the Sexism You Can’t Quite Prove

Up and Running

At the outset, it is worth noting that when it comes to the world of venture funding, I am a bit of an outsider. Until a handful of years ago, I didn’t even know what venture capital was, let alone anything about the complicated process of actually acquiring VC funding. percent of venture capital deals, and received.33

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How to Scale a Venture Capital (or Private Equity) Fund

David Teten

– Encourage founders to turn to other founders and their broader community as resources, not just the VC’s own staff. First Round Capital’s forum for portfolio executives is a powerful example of a scaleable resource. – Launch a venture capital fund of funds. This evolves the VC from a server to a router.

article thumbnail

This Week in Venture Capital – Episode 2

Both Sides of the Table

I was on This Week in Venture Capital (TWiVC) again this week with Jason Calacanis. Rumored: Digital Sky Technologies. 10 million in Series B Menlo Ventures , Steamboat. Quirky - Platform facilitating collaborative design of consumer products through an online community. Time will tell. TBD mm in Series C; $1.2

article thumbnail

How to Get Superior Returns in Venture Capital

David Teten

Similarly, firms like my alma mater ff Venture Capital and Andreessen Horowitz have executed this strategy in VC. They offer “Community as a Service,” by tapping the community (which is scalable), not just their own staff to support their companies. – Technology stack. – Incubating companies.

article thumbnail

How to Get Superior Returns in Venture Capital

David Teten

Similarly, firms like my alma mater ff Venture Capital and Andreessen Horowitz have executed this strategy in VC. They offer “Community as a Service,” by tapping the community (which is scalable), not just their own staff to support their companies. – Technology stack. – Incubating companies.

article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378