Remove Chicago Remove Community Remove Vesting Remove Web
article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

A Few Key People Really Can Make a Huge Difference

Both Sides of the Table

Seattle should be the envy of any non Silicon Valley tech community in the country. And that is precisely my thoughts for Seattle and what I plan to deliver on Thursday night: Which few key community leaders are going to step up and get those neurons properly firing and connected? My recipe for Seattle or your community: 1.

Seattle 317
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

How much equity for investors and employees?

dondodge.typepad.com

Community is more powerful than money or technology » August 11, 2007 How much equity for investors and employees? from David Dalka - Creating Revenue and Retention - Chicago GSB MBA As discussed in my recent post about a TiE event on Chicago start ups, there are many factors to consider when taking in funding and employees.

Equity 40
article thumbnail

The 18 Mistakes That Kill Startups

www.paulgraham.com

In townslike Houston and Chicago and Detroit its too small to measure. When we startedit, there wasnt any; the few sites you could order from werehand-made at great expense by web consultants. It happens so oftenthat weve reversed our attitude to vesting. Afterthat theres not much. Why is the falloff so sharp?

Startup 108
article thumbnail

CEO Friday: Why we don’t hire.NET programmers

blog.expensify.com

But I’ve seen some recent comments that this post might have upset and offended the SMB community that we serve, and that I cannot abide. In fact, the open source community can learn a lot from Microsoft in terms of backward compatibility and tools for productivity. I was just looking at your web site.

Java 107