article thumbnail

Freelancing is the new normal: oDesk and the future of the workforce marketplace

The Next Web

Most of clients are “startups, small businesses, and solo entrepreneurs who are building their business on or around oDesk,” Cooper said. Among other fastest-growing client countries one can also find Latvia, Pakistan, Romania, Lithuania, and Malaysia. Who needs freelancers?

Russia 151
article thumbnail

The Screwy Logic of Crowdfunding and Venture Fund Regulation

This is going to be BIG.

You know, because sometimes startups just simply don't make it [shrug] but you gotta watch out for those financial hucksters who are looking to take your money and run off to kick it in Fiji. 25 people I've actually placed at companies as part of a message of how I help startups. At least startups have accelerators, incubators, etc.

Latvia 110
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

500 Startups unveils its Fall 2012 accelerator lineup: More international and more sh*t founders say

The Next Web

500 Startups has announced the 33 newest companies joining its accelerator program this Fall. It is a rather interesting and complex set of startups in the group and could be considered the most international, diverse, and exciting group in the history of the accelerator program so far. Everbill: invoice and estimate service.

Founder 136
article thumbnail

Out of the Crisis #21: Tomas Pueyo on the hammer and the dance, political polarization, and how the pandemic will affect the way we live and work

Startup Lessons Learned

He worked at an education startup here in Silicon Valley. And in fact, The Lean Startup is very much that. For example, Santa Clara had a community-spread case early in March. If something like that happens, you want to close everything, because it's a community spread. His name is Tomas Pueyo. He was not a famous author.

article thumbnail

Unambition syndrome

The Startup Toolkit

Until recently, it has caused me quite a bit of stress to see that my startup friends are clearly ambitious, whereas I am not. And sometimes I would go to a new country and hang out with interesting startup founders. And then, I found myself in Latvia, drinking with a guy who built 2 or 3 big tech companies.

Latvia 51