article thumbnail

How and Why To Be an Angel Investor

David Teten

Villalobos & Payne: “Startup Pre-Money Valuation: The Keystone to Return on Investment” 117. Based on his track record, by 2008 he was able to found ff Venture Capital , an institutional angel investment firm (where I am a Partner). approx 1999-07. 1961- 1996. Mason & Harrison: “Is it worth it?

article thumbnail

LinkedIn: The Series A Fundraising Story ? AGILEVC

Agile VC

The terms and valuation for both offers were comparable and when the team debated which path to choose, we all agreed both firms would have made good partners. round which closed in November 2003, and the pre-money valuation between $10 million and $15 million. We three partners are working hard.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Shark Tank Season 4 episode 2 breakdown

Lightspeed Venture Partners

The right number to focus on is pre money valuation as that is how an investor is valuing the company before the investment. Post money valuation = Pre money valuation + Investment. post money valuation and a $1.35M pre money valuation.

article thumbnail

Lean Startup Conference Speaker Andy Rachleff on his 35 years in Silicon Valley, Wealthfront and telling stories

Startup Lessons Learned

So the venture process was all about trying to figure out whether or not people could deliver what they said they could, and you typically invested as early as possible at a $5 million pre-money valuation, hoping the company would be worth $500 million, in which case you'd make 20 to 30 times your money.

article thumbnail

Another personal story: Timing is everything in a sale.

Berkonomics

I’ve been offered $15 million for my company and my partner is suing me for all I am worth. And yes, his partner had a valid suit, having been locked out of the web-design business and denied access to decisions and accounting information. The company made little effort to charge for the software or community. What can I do?”.

article thumbnail

ProfessorVC: Touched by an Angel

Professor VC

I think the title of this post is a TV show, but fitting as there has been much debate in the venture community as to the whether angel investors are good or bad for entrepreneurs and VCs. He also said they typically only invest at a $1 million pre-money valuation or less. The last blogger in Silicon Valley.

article thumbnail

Asset Management Is A Bizarre Industry Ripe For Disruption

David Teten

Disruptable Pattern #4: Most investors put in only a modest amount of their own money into their funds. In the asset management industry, the norm is that the General Partner puts in 1-2% of the total assets under management. I have frequently heard the expression from other investors, “We can put a lot of money to work here.”