article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Transformify: The Sustainable Platform for Remote Jobs

Transformify

It was a growing community of people who enjoyed their digital nomad lifestyle. Earthquakes and talent scarcity in tech hubs like San Francisco, London, New York, Tel Aviv, Berlin, Paris and so on could disrupt the business of many tech companies. However, the salaries are spent locally, thus revitalizing the local communities.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

The Tech Mentorship Gap: How Code2040 Is Solving. What You Can Do. And How LinkedIn Can Help

Hunter Walker

Each summer they match high performing software engineering students from these underrepresented groups with Mentor and summer internships. I’d love to see LinkedIn standardize the notion of community service as a field in your profile. One additional thought about creating a culture of contribution in tech.

article thumbnail

Why Has LA Suddenly Gotten So Much Attention from VCs and Entrepreneurs?

Both Sides of the Table

When my friend and the father of LA’s tech startup community Bill Gross first demonstrated his company GoTo.com (renamed Overture) on stage at a TED conference he was actually booed (True story. But our best Internet software engineers have historically been exported on a net basis to the Bay Area. It is different.

article thumbnail

Strategy Roundtable For Entrepreneurs: Exciting Companies Lined Up For Microsoft Startup Grant Finals

ReadWriteStart

In the case of Freshdesk, their main competitor, Zendesk, is operating with a San Francisco - Copenhagen cost-structure and will find it harder to compete with this strategy. Now, if the communication can be smoothed, the entire process will become a great deal more productive.

India 123
article thumbnail

How to Build a Startup Team

techcocktail.com

Tech Cocktail Connecting, educating and amplifying the startup technology community and having fun doing it since 2006. Software Engineer—PHP—Energy Software for the Smart Grid @ Agentis Energy (Elmhurst, IL) Sr. Software Engineer @ General Electric (Barrington, IL) Sr.

article thumbnail

Startup Act 3.0: A New Hope For Immigrant Entrepreneurs?

ReadWriteStart

Hypemarks was a Los Angeles social sharing startup that after about a year of failing to gain traction and turn a profit, changed course, moved to San Francisco and became Tint , an embeddable social-feed service. One of the company’s four employees, its software engineer, is not an American citizen. start-up world.