Remove 2004 Remove Community Remove Media Remove Portfolio
article thumbnail

Ted Rheingold Founded Dogster in 2004: Five Questions About Building a Startup, Selling a Startup and Whether SF Is Still a Good Place

Hunter Walker

Hunter Walk: I know you started Dogster, one of the seminal early online communities, but I don’t know Dogster’s founding story. Dogster launched January 12, 2004 (Happy 12th Birthday Dogster!) Now it’s time for the Finance, Portfolio and Expansion teams to take over. Photo Credit: Christopher Michel.

article thumbnail

How to Radically Stand Out with Brand Marketing

ConversionXL

He was swiftly followed by Richard Branson and Virgin Galactic in 2004. Your brand values should permeate through your entire business and marketing strategy , from external interactions (including social media content) to internal culture (more on that in a bit). In 2002, Elon Musk created Space X. The solution: build a brand.

Marketing 109
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

crowdSPRING Community Gives Back – MagazineLiteracy.org

crowdSPRING Blog

Give Back is the crowdSPRING community’s way of helping worthy non-profit and charity causes in need. Creatives in the crowdSPRING community have agreed that for these special projects, no monetary awards will be given. We’re thrilled that the crowdSPRING community’s next Give Back project is for MagazineLiteracy.org.

Community 103
article thumbnail

Keep It Under Your Hat: Valuation Caps and the $650 Million Sale of MySpace for $125 Million

Gust

Never missing an opportunity for a good war story, I’d like to revisit one high-profile transaction, the $650 million acquisition of MySpace by Fox Interactive Media in 2005, on which I spent many sleepless nights along with the rest of the deal team. Redpoint, led by Geoff Yang , invested $11.5

article thumbnail

Playing the Long Game in Venture Capital

Both Sides of the Table

Silicon Valley and the media industry that surrounds it values youth. Since funds were driven by extreme successes in their portfolios where just one deal could return 5x the entire fund while 95% of the fund may have done well but not amazing, not missing out on deals was critical. This “overnight success” was first financed in 2004.

article thumbnail

Being a Business Leader Amid Historical Events

Seeing Both Sides

I have been an advocate of this for years, particularly having innovation community leaders engage in civic work , and so have been thrilled to see business leaders take public stances and lead public discourse. Many CEOs do this by being active on Twitter and Facebook, playing the role of mini-celebrities or media personalities.

article thumbnail

In Silicon Valley, Founders Fight for Control

online.wsj.com

Create a profile for me in the Journal Community. As a registered user of The Wall Street Journal Online, you will be able to: Setup and manage your portfolio. Journal Community. ignited the current trend by adopting a dual-class voting structure before its IPO in 2004. Journal Community. Journal Community.