Remove Boston Remove Community Remove Dilution Remove Early Stage
article thumbnail

Paul Graham and The World Out There

This is going to be BIG.

The classes got too big and quality was diluted because, by PG''s own admission, YC " grew too fast.". You could argue that the recent companies are too early, so I''ll take that challenge and compare it with my own portfolio. All of the companies but one were funded in NYC, with the other in Boston. That''s less than 10%.

article thumbnail

VC Board Management Best Practices: 5 Early Warning Signs of Trouble

Pascal's View

Startups, the engine of American innovation and an important source of job growth nationally, took a severe beating in 2009 because so few were funded by the venture community. The most important startup centers are Silicon Valley, metropolitan Boston, Seattle and Austin and, increasingly, northern Virginia.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Taking stock of the Dutch tech cluster: What The Netherlands needs to win the European startup scene

The Next Web

Think of Stanford and Sandhill road in Silicon Valley, Route 128 in Boston or IIT in Bangalore India. According to the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor the Dutch outperform the EU big five in terms of early stage entrepreneurial activity. In my view, we can do a better job of forming strong tech communities.

article thumbnail

How much equity for investors and employees?

dondodge.typepad.com

Don Dodge on The Next Big Thing Thoughts on business and technology Home Archives Profile Subscribe About Me « Boston VCs gets first look at Y Combinator Demo Day | Main | Digg-nation is HUGE! Community is more powerful than money or technology » August 11, 2007 How much equity for investors and employees? 5% Managers -.25%

Equity 40
article thumbnail

The 8 Biggest Mistakes Most Entrepreneurs Make When Raising Capital.

Small Business Force

That includes startups, raising capital to help launch them past proof of concept; or early-stage companies needing capital to scale their business, or more mature businesses, raising capital for a major growth initiative. startup, early stage, mature company) no matter what kind of capital you’re trying to raise (e.g.,