Remove Boston Remove Community Remove San Diego Remove Silicon Valley
article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Recently I wrote a post arguing to make the definition of a Startup more inclusive than that to which Silicon Valley, fueled by Venture Capital return profiles, would sometimes like to attach to the word. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Meta’s CTO Andrew Bosworth Says Video Games Were What Hooked Him On Tech

Hunter Walker

The combo convinced me that software was for creativity and community — 100% impacted the rest of my life. I do feel lucky to have been raised in Silicon Valley where it was clear to everyone that this was a very valid and potentially lucrative career choice. Did Boston work for you right away or was there an adjustment period?

Video 104
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

10 Best Cities in the United States for Startups and Entrepreneurs (2018)

crowdSPRING Blog

Silicon Valley has dominated the U.S. Despite repeated efforts, only a few cities outside the Valley (New York and Boston) have historically had the critical mix of VC funding, network, and talent to fuel vibrant startup centers. cities (outside of Silicon Valley and the East Coast), to build your startup.

article thumbnail

Can You Really Build a Great Tech Firm Outside Silicon Valley?

Both Sides of the Table

Last year I was on Sand Hill Road in Silicon Valley meeting with one of the most prominent venture capital firms in the country. And this Silicon Valley bias isn’t limited to any single meeting – it has been a recurring theme in my time as a VC. Funding is different outside of Silicon Valley.

article thumbnail

Brad Feld Drops Knowledge. Here’s What He Said …

Both Sides of the Table

I owe ya’ a 20 minute call (or in person next time I’m in San Diego). I do something I now call community hours. We just finished the second year in Boston. And so that is a steady import of talent but even more interestingly what it really did is it re-energized the entrepreneurial community.”.

article thumbnail

Getting out of the building…by staying in the building!

Steve Blank

In order to get the healthcare community to collaborate with each other to bring new ideas to market they will need some help to catalyze the “co” part of co-working. This has been nearly a 4-year journey,” said Schonthal who prior to moving back to Chicago in 2011 had been working in healthcare venture capital in San Diego.

San Diego 261
article thumbnail

On Supercities, Economic Growth, and Income Inequality in a Post-COVID World

Ben's Blog

And since VC dollars tend to concentrate around high-tech R&D areas, it’s notable that more than 90% of the nation’s innovation-sector growth (2005-2017) is accounted for by just five metro areas — Boston, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, and San Diego. Federal government. Local/state governments.