Remove Cofounder Remove Community Remove PHP Remove Product Development
article thumbnail

Lessons Learned: Lean hiring tips

Startup Lessons Learned

Returning to our example of the beleaguered founder who still has the pager, before hiring an operations guy, try promoting someone from within to take on the job. You are doing the startup community a great service by sharing your insights via your blog. If not, you can avoid making the hire with confidence. Keep them coming.

Lean 140
article thumbnail

Lessons Learned: Three freemium strategies

Startup Lessons Learned

These are companies that generate revenue by offering a free product with an upsell or premium version. For founders, I think it also has another big attraction: the ability to avoid a lot of " free vs paid " arguments. The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Customer Development ► June (3) What is a startup?

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Happy blogiversary (my present: a brand new URL)

Startup Lessons Learned

Or, for something more substantive, how about the top five-most-read posts: Why PHP won Dont launch Five Whys Work in small batches The engineering managers lament But wait, theres more! The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Customer Development ► June (3) What is a startup? Read the very first comment (thanks tfitz!)

article thumbnail

Finding Your Co-Founders

techcrunch.com

The number one question you all asked after reading my last blog post about starting a business from scratch was “how do I find my co-founders?&# And therein lies the problem in finding co-founders for that startup you’re dying to launch. Having trouble meeting folks you think would be good co-founders?

article thumbnail

What The Rails Security Issue Means For Your Startup

www.kalzumeus.com

January has been a very bad month for Ruby on Rails developers, with two high-severity security bugs permitting remote code execution found in the framework and a separate-but-related compromise on rubygems.org, a community resource which virtually all Ruby on Rails developers sit downstream of. Many startups use Ruby on Rails.

Security 101
article thumbnail

Lessons Learned: Why PHP won

Startup Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned by Eric Ries Monday, January 12, 2009 Why PHP won When I first learned to program on the web, Perl + CGI was the dominant platform. But by the time I was building my first websites for commercial use , PHP had taken over. Writing unit tests or mock objects in PHP is an exercise in constant frustration.

PHP 166
article thumbnail

Startup Tools

steveblank.com

interactions, widgets, effects Django – high-level Python framework Cappuccino – open source framework for app development Kodingen – cloud development environment, code editor, hosting service, collaboration platform. Simple editing.