article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

20 Entrepreneurs Share Their Business Goals for 2018

Hearpreneur

We’ll do this through a variety of ways like introducing new products and features to our website, and focusing on a variety of marketing strategies to grow and engage our community. This year we will hit our 100,000th person on experiential tours of Detroit and launch a new program that shares lessons learned with other leaders.

Detroit 91
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

10 College Business Incubators We’re Most Excited About

YoungUpstarts

To help foster this innovation, many colleges and universities have opened business incubators, helping students and others in their community to help make their innovative dreams a reality. Offering a “holistic entrepreneurship program,” this residential community has entrepreneurship at every step of the college experience.

Incubator 202
article thumbnail

Twitter Link Roundup #75 – Small Business, Social Media, Design, Copywriting, Marketing And More

crowdSPRING Blog

Half of Detroit’s public schools being shut down? BlockBuster puts itself up for sale – [link]. Good points by @dhh about the end of the IT department – [link]. The iPad smackdown — 80 to 100 new tablets are coming from competitors – [link]. – [link].

article thumbnail

Tips For Business Growth In 2014

YoungUpstarts

As the founder of Count Me In for Women’s Economic Independence, the leading not-for-profit provider of resources, business education and community support for women entrepreneurs, it’s my mission to help the over eight million women business owners in the U.S. to substantially grow their businesses. What are the skill sets they require?

article thumbnail

How to Start a Bed and Breakfast

Up and Running

It is crucially important that your B&B is located within a community that has a proven tourism track record and a local economy that can support it. Sales tax account (seller’s permit). One comprehensive checklist for all the business licensing and support requirements is as follows: Conditional use and sign permits (if required).

SBA 60
article thumbnail

How to Build a Startup Team

techcocktail.com

Tech Cocktail Connecting, educating and amplifying the startup technology community and having fun doing it since 2006. Make sure someone is thinking about overarching plans around PR, marketing and sales and spends time crafting the right messages, understanding audiences and figuring out distribution channels.