article thumbnail

Love And Giving Aren’t Green: Startups & Corporate Social Impact

YoungUpstarts

Once a year New York City is overcome at 5 p.m. In my former life, I worked at an investment bank, where at least one day a year we were required/allowed to donate a day to “Community Teamworks,” and participate in a charitable program. By Melissa Thompson, CEO of Talk Session. It becomes quite convoluted.

Green 178
article thumbnail

The 20 Coolest CoWorking Spaces In The U.S.

YoungUpstarts

With free coffee and Internet, workspaces, and built-in community, coworking spaces provide a great place to get things done without feeling the isolation of working at home, or trying to overcome the frenetic nature of working in a coffee shop. There’s even covered outdoor seating if you feel like heading outside to work. Ignition Alley.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Why I left Wall Street to figure it out.

Austin Startup

This developed into another question: Even more, since there’s so much that goes on within the community, how can I know in one place, on my phone, what’s going on?—?in in the African communities around me? After confirming it in prayer, I was off to New York City. in terms of events, parties, gatherings?—?in

article thumbnail

Twitter Link Roundup #50 – Small Business, Social Media, Design, Copywriting, Marketing And More

crowdSPRING Blog

Interesting perspective on why New York City could never compete in tech – [link]. Web Design Inspiration: 40 Green Themed Websites – [link]. Rethinking “F@#$ You Money” – [link]. If You Build It, They Won’t Come – [link]. Lessons from working for startups – [link].

article thumbnail

What do your VCs care about and does it matter?

This is going to be BIG.

Besides, there were a limited number of places where I could do my job in venture capital anyway—and while I might be a go to for a pitch from super early stage pre-seed and seed founders looking for quick answers and decisive term sheets in New York City, the reality is that I would be pretty far down the list in the Valley.

Ukraine 128
article thumbnail

[Review] Monster Loyalty

YoungUpstarts

Similarly, companies like Whole Foods Market (“Whole Foods, Whole People, Whole Planet”), Zappos , and green cleaning products company Method have built growing businesses founded on values. Build Community. Naming such communities allow fans to access each other, strengthen bonds, and shape their shared identity.

Kentucky 183
article thumbnail

SOPA's Jane Jacobs Moment

This is going to be BIG.

Fifty years ago this year, the New York City Board of Estimate voted down Robert Moses ' plan to build a ten-lane elevated highway across lower Manhattan--leveling fourteen blocks along Broome Street in Little Italy and what is now SoHo, as well as the West Village. Robert Moses got his start as a Parks Commissioner.