article thumbnail

What Makes a Successful Startup Community? Is it Possible to Build One Where You Live?

Both Sides of the Table

Today I’d like to talk about what startup communities outside of Silicon Valley look like, how they emerge and what makes them take hold. Most of what I think about startup communities came from mentorship by Brad Feld through hours of private discussion and debate. Think Fred Wilson, Tony Hsieh or Brad Feld.

Community 378
article thumbnail

Twitter Link Roundup #110 – Small Business, Social Media, Design, Copywriting, Marketing And More

crowdSPRING Blog

These posts and videos are about logo design , web design , startups, entrepreneurship, small business, leadership, social media, marketing, and more! PR is mostly ineffective when companies step on social media landmines – [link]. 26 Promising Social Media Stats for Small Businesses – [link]. Very shady, if true.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Ellison Eyewear the Multi-Billion $ Sunglass Industry

Hearpreneur

At 18, he headed to University of Iowa to study dentistry. Aristotle still splits time between, Greece, Iowa, and Chicago, and refers to himself as “Greek born, city raised, and corn fed.” To date, our community has built 40 new homes in Nicaragua for families living in slum conditions. Carve out a niche. Ellison page.

Greece 48
article thumbnail

How to Raise Money When You’re Not in a Major VC Market

Both Sides of the Table

And I am often approached by entrepreneurs in cities which don’t have a vibrant VC community. Where do you want to build your community, your relationships, your family?” If their commitment to staying local is weak I normally say, “Well, it certainly would be easier on you to be in a larger community.

article thumbnail

The Venture Capital Secret: 3 Out of 4 Start-Ups Fail

online.wsj.com

Media & Marketing. Media Agencies. Journal Community. Journal Community. A community of WSJ readers interested in franchising news, trends and issues. Journal Community. Answers allows you to tap the knowledge of Community members. The language you used does not comply with community standards.

article thumbnail

How to Kick Start Your Community’s Startup Scene

Both Sides of the Table

I have never been more optimistic about the impact that the tech startup community is having on cities in America or about the role that cities outside of San Francisco / Silicon Valley can play in our future. Or the growth of Dwolla in Iowa or C2FO being built in Kansas City? The Foundations of the Seattle startup community.

article thumbnail

Chrissy Weems Discusses How She Dominated the Direct Sales Industry in a TED Talk

The Startup Magazine

Use social media to get social – the growth of social media over the last few years makes it a critical component in formulating an effective marketing strategy. Social media presents a fertile ground for consultants to sell products to family members, friends, and acquaintances. The company has a community of 30,000 designers.

Sales 90