article thumbnail

The 20 Coolest CoWorking Spaces In The U.S.

YoungUpstarts

With free coffee and Internet, workspaces, and built-in community, coworking spaces provide a great place to get things done without feeling the isolation of working at home, or trying to overcome the frenetic nature of working in a coffee shop. Seattleites can enjoy this community-oriented coworking and shared office space.

article thumbnail

Startup Weekend makes a pitstop in San Jose

Sophia Perl of Wisdom

Last weekend in the heart of San Jose, over 100 people gathered at PayPal for Startup Weekend. you get to be part of a community that has a common goal of working / creating a startup over a course of the weekend - Friday night, all day Saturday, then all day Sunday. For $100 or less (discounts!),

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

First (and not last) time at iOSDevCamp 2011

Sophia Perl of Wisdom

The hackathon follows a similar format of a Startup Weekend, Friday night – networking, idea pitches, some teams form, Saturday – teams done forming, hack hack hack, and Sunday - hack, submit, present your hack. Before the weekend, all the attendees can create profiles on CrowdVine.com, a social network for events.

article thumbnail

Silicon Valley’s Women of Influence 2010 awards dinner

Sophia Perl of Wisdom

The San Jose Business Journal vetted out nominations down to 100 women in the San Jose area who have influenced other women and their community. The evening included a networking cocktail reception, dinner, awards of course, then dessert. I wish that there were more folks to meet during the networking hour.

article thumbnail

ProfessorVC: Where did Summer Go?

Professor VC

A 2005 report by the Government Accountability Office indicates that textbook prices have outpaced inflation by more than 2-1 over the past two decades and account for 26% of tuition and fees at four-year public universities and nearly three-quarters of costs at community colleges. I also teach Entrepreneurial Finance at San Jose State.

article thumbnail

ProfessorVC: Can Entrepreneurship Be Taught?

Professor VC

However, for most of the rest of us, the analytical skills honed in college or grad school, along with the opportunity to network and explore different fields prove invaluable later. With that in mind, I created a new course at San Jose State last year, the Entrepreneurship Lab (E-Lab). ► January. (1). ► 2010. (7).

article thumbnail

ProfessorVC: Is the Grass Really Greener on the Dark Side?

Professor VC

I think this same concept plays into what Ive seen happening a lot more in the venture community: partners at VC firms jumping back into entrepreneurial ventures. Don't Stop Believin' Is There Any Truth in "The Social Network"? I also teach Entrepreneurial Finance at San Jose State.