article thumbnail

Why Has LA Suddenly Gotten So Much Attention from VCs and Entrepreneurs?

Both Sides of the Table

When my friend and the father of LA’s tech startup community Bill Gross first demonstrated his company GoTo.com (renamed Overture) on stage at a TED conference he was actually booed (True story. You can hear many other amazing stories in this 1:1 interview ). Many of the early winners sold for north of a half a billion dollars.

article thumbnail

Exploring the Best Free Crowdfunding Sites Online

The Startup Magazine

Lastly, note that using free crowdfunding sites provides an excellent cost-effective solution compared to seed capital or personal loans with high-interest rates. The social proof and validation received from having numerous tangible backers can also be priceless.

Campaign 148
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Harvard’s Big Moves to Improve Its Startup Spirit: An HBS Student’s Take

View from Seed

He is currently a second year student at Harvard Business School and will be focused on supporting the early-stage startup community in Boston and its schools. This is his first post to The View From Seed. And done well, local seed capital can be the catalyst for the new Harvard engineering campus in Allston.

Boston 328
article thumbnail

Building a new startup hub

Startup Lessons Learned

Ive written a little bit about the origins of Silicon Valley because I think its important for us to understand how we got here in order to make sure we preserve what is best about our community. The companies I spoke to all agreed that the community there was extremely supportive, especially in the critical ulta-early-stage.

article thumbnail

The Missing Piece

Austin Startup

If you follow the writings regarding the Austin ecosystem you’ve probably read debates about the absence of capital. Some founders argue that Austin lacks seed capital, most participants agree that there is a lack of later stage capital. Brad Feld argues that community is the cornerstone of success for an ecosystem.

article thumbnail

This Week in VC Episode 6 with @Jason Calacanis: Best One Yet

Both Sides of the Table

Next Wednesday we’ll have Dana Settle of Greycroft Partners, a New York / LA early-stage venture capital fund. I think this episode is worth watching ( video is here ) but as always I’ll try to summarize for anybody short on time. Users participate by performing tasks, taking surveys or watching advertiser videos.

Stealth 285
article thumbnail

Twitter Link Roundup #28 – Design, Copywriting, Marketing, Small Business, Social Media And More

crowdSPRING Blog

Every day on the crowdSPRING Twitter account and on my own Twitter account , I post links to posts or videos I enjoyed reading or viewing. These posts and videos are about design, startups, entrepreneurship, small business, leadership, social media, marketing, and more! Measuring Up: Are You a Good Designer or a Great One?