Remove 2010 Remove Community Remove Customer Development Remove Design
article thumbnail

Ardent War Story 5: The Best Marketers Are Engineers

Steve Blank

Some of these advisors from the academic community would work with our of VP of Engineering and help us solve specific technical problems. We hired a PhD in computational fluid dynamics from Duke who had worked on helicopter design. At the time this was a pretty controversial decision.

Engineer 198
article thumbnail

Touching the Hot Stove – Experiential versus Theoretical Learning.

Steve Blank

Customer Development/Lean Startups In hindsight startups and the venture capital community left out the most important first step any startup ought to be doing – hypothesis testing in front of customers- from day one. It’s what my textbook on Customer Development describes. I was an idiot.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Transcript of The Key to Success? Taking Care of Your Community

Duct Tape Marketing

Taking Care of Your Community written by John Jantsch read more at Duct Tape Marketing. Brian Clark and I have been friends for a really long time and they have certainly set the standard on how to build a business, how to build a brand, how to take care of a community. We came together in 2010. Transcript of The Key to Success?

article thumbnail

Thanksgiving Day

Steve Blank

So no post today on entrepreneurship, Secret History of Silicon Valley, Customer Development, Lean Startups, etc. We try our best to give back to our community and country and always wonder – is it enough? Our friends who run the state park surrounding our ranch will join all of us for Thanksgiving dinner.

article thumbnail

Building a new startup hub

Startup Lessons Learned

Ive written a little bit about the origins of Silicon Valley because I think its important for us to understand how we got here in order to make sure we preserve what is best about our community. The companies I spoke to all agreed that the community there was extremely supportive, especially in the critical ulta-early-stage.

article thumbnail

Top 57 Online Startups Meets Technology Meets Product Posts for November 2010

SoCal CTO

aka: An Open Letter to the Next Big Social Network) - 500 Hats , November 1, 2010 I've held off writing this post for a long time, because I couldn't quite get my head around all the issues. When It’s Darkest Men See the Stars - Steve Blank , November 24, 2010 When It’s Darkest Men See the Stars. but: Something is Still Missing.

article thumbnail

New conference website, speakers, agenda

Startup Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned by Eric Ries Monday, March 29, 2010 New conference website, speakers, agenda The Startup Lessons Learned Conference on April 23 is fast approaching. Doesnt the communication overhead of a large team lead to chaos of overlapping experiments and continuously-deployed bugs?" "If Is design important to lean startups?