Remove 2012 Remove Community Remove Government Remove Washington
article thumbnail

The 5 Best States In America For New Business

YoungUpstarts

The state’s economy, government incentives and training, business regulations and workforce are other crucial factors. Additionally, the tech startup community has grown so quickly that Utah has a new nickname: The Silicon Slopes. Government is a large employer—given the state’s proximity to Washington, D.C.—and

article thumbnail

Presidential Innovation Fellows, round two

Startup Lessons Learned

Yes, there are Lean Startups even in the United States federal government. For my take on how this is possible, you can see my previous post on Lean Government here. Each team of innovators is supported by a broader community of interested citizens throughout the country.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

[US][Competition] U.S. Chamber of Commerce DREAM BIG Small Business Of The Year Award 2012

YoungUpstarts

Chamber of Commerce has announced the seven regional finalists for the DREAM BIG Small Business of the Year Award 2012. The seven featured companies have already proven their worth as winners of the Blue Ribbon Award for innovative business practices and contributions to their local communities. Chamber of Commerce.

article thumbnail

National Security Innovation just got a major boost in Washington

Steve Blank

Two good things just happened in Washington – these days that should be enough of a headline. I learned he’d gone to Harvard to get his MPA at the Kennedy School of Government in conflict resolution. government where their traditional academic path and business career would never take them. (I

article thumbnail

The Big Bang. The Lean LaunchPad explodes at University of Maryland

Steve Blank

program in 2011, I approached Edmund Pendleton from University of Maryland, Jim Chung from George Washington University and Jack Lesko from Virginia Tech with the idea that together we could leverage the respective strengths of our institutions, and catalyze the region through I-Corps. When Steve and NSF created the I-Corps™. fed labs, HHS).

Maryland 278
article thumbnail

The Venture Capital Secret: 3 Out of 4 Start-Ups Fail

online.wsj.com

September 19, 2012, 9:32 p.m. Copyright 2012 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. Distribution and use of this material are governed by our Subscriber Agreement and by copyright law. Washington. Washington. Journal Community. See a sample reprint in PDF format. Order a reprint of this article now. SMALL BUSINESS.

article thumbnail

Address These 3 Critical Risks Before You Start an Assisted Living Home

Up and Running

Roughly speaking, an assisted living home is the midpoint between an independent living community (where healthy, youngish seniors live) and a nursing home (which exists for the frailest of seniors who require 24/7 care). In Washington, where I live, small assisted living homes are known as adult family homes. Gumshoe investigating.